BRP Imperial China - wushu

GianniVacca

I am looking for a name for the exaggerated, kinetic type of martial arts that are a staple of Hong Kong action film:

• Supernatural Martial Arts
  • Kinetic Martial Arts

??? I am really at a loss :confused:

cheers

Power Wushu ?

That would be similar to what I've used in my manuscript, but I'm looking for an English-language name.

Kung Fu?

Apart from the fact that I'm looking for an English word, 'kung fu' is not even how the Chinese themselves call their martial arts. 'kung fu' means 'excellent technique' and can be applied to anything: cooking, medicine, painting, calligraphy...

Guest Vile Traveller

Apart from the fact that I'm looking for an English word, 'kung fu' is not even how the Chinese themselves call their martial arts. 'kung fu' means 'excellent technique' and can be applied to anything: cooking, medicine, painting, calligraphy...

Technically that may be so, but Kung Fu is what people here in Hong Kong call what they do in Hong Kong martial arts movies (although the term also extends to cover those semi-magical abilities sometimes seen in more fantasy-like movies). And I think it's an accepted term in the English language:

kung fu noun

/ˌkʌŋˈfuː/

a Chinese method of fighting which involves using your hands and feet and not using weapons.

Sorry, but I can't really think of another term which is both desicriptive and sounds cool enough for a game ... :(