Input on a magical object

Ejlertson

Im working on this and would like some feedback on it.

Fleshless Rabbits Foot
This item is presented to teh Investigators as a Rabbits foot. Unless players themself conclude taht such an item might bring luck, I´ll hint at it via a occult check.
The item itself does bring luck, after a fashion.

The investigator who wears it will feel the effect of it once he fails his first check of any kind.
Once this happens the rabbit foot tries to bind to him. The player performs a luck check, if he fails teh rabbit foot bind to him and becomes unremoveable. Untill the foot is bound to a Investigator every time a test is failed it will try to bind.

Once its bound to a player the fun begins.
Everytime a player fails a test, he immediatly spend the amount of luck needed to succed. He then perfroms a POW check (This is excempt from the luck effect.) If the POW test is succelsfull he pays 1d4 Magic Points and regains 1d10 luck. If failed nothing happens.
If the player is has to few luck points to spend, his luck is reduced to 0 and he loses 1d4 Sanity and then checks for Pow as usual to regain luck.

To good, to bad, to brutal?
Any input would be valued 

I do have plans in place for how its removed again, which the players will discover (and then very likely try to enact)

0b76b670b0489f532377a7c12c15367b.jpg

Edited by Ejlertson
  • Like 2

Way too brutal. You roll one roll in the 90s and their entire Luck stat could be wiped out. It's a "gotcha" item that players have no way of consciously avoiding, other than just choosing not to pick it up. If your goal is for your players to hate you, do it. I recommend that not be your goal. ;) 

The base concept is good. But rather than have it "spend all the Luck required to succeed," alter it to have a balanced consequence: 1) Failed roll, lose 1d10 Luck. 2) POW roll: as before.

I also wouldn't do something like this without having it kick off a series of steps that the players could take to figure out how to remove it.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

Goal is not to make players hate me (Which is why i want input) I want it to be scary but copeable :)
And there is a whole playsession/scenario planned on finding out how to remove and then getting it removed.

Thanks for the input. Ill work on modification.

Edited by Ejlertson
  • Like 1

Thank you very much TO.
I appreciate the feedback a lot.
Any experience you have with it in your ongoing campaign, Id love to hear it.
Cheers Poul

Adding further Mythus influence might be a good idea. The campaign i want to use it for is very much a WIP but he specific item is prepared by a mystic and granted to the Investigators to help them. The ritual to make it failed horribly meaning that Shub Niggurath invested a little influence of her own in it. The creator is not aware of this. The Investigators will learn down the road that something is wrong and I have 2 different NPCs in the works that can help them get rid of it again.

Edited by Ejlertson