Upkeep

Just now, The Wanderer said:

A knight hires a servant/soldier in the winter phase: does he have to pay him in advance (this winter phase) or does he have to pay him the next year (winter phase) for the first time?

YPWV, but the way I GM it...

All the upkeep paid in the Winter Phase is for the upcoming year. So yeah, you pay in advance. You are basically allocating the resources to feed the guy through the year until the next harvest comes in.

The big advantage of that is that if there is a bad harvest, the PK has most of the next year to try and make up for it rather than getting hit instantly with the penalties. Also it makes the PKs pay for their servants rather than trying to argue that since the guy died during the year, they don't have to pay...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Morien said:

SNIPPAGE HERE :: Also it makes the PKs pay for their servants rather than trying to argue that since the guy died during the year, they don't have to pay...

I had one of my PK try and do the "but he died in spring, so I didn't have to pay him". I let him get away with it - but THEN he lost 1 Honor as word got out about how he treated his people and thus people did not trust his word - AND THEN he found that he was paying 4 times the normal rate for EVERY servant he had.

He had to actively work to improve how people viewed him. Made for some great roleplay - and was the perfect *example* to the other PKs on how NOT to treat their people.

Edited by SirUkpyr
  • Like 1