White Horse Vale/Uffington Location

Super nerdy question: 

In the text of the KAP books, White Horse Vale and Uffington (and thus the White Chalk Horse itself) are always listed as being in Salisbury.

But when I look at maps in the books, White Horse Vale and Uffington (or Uffingham) seem to be clearly outside the bounds of Salisbury. 

Does anyone have any information or thoughts about this?

Thanks!

(I'm planning on using @Morien's suggestion of The Adventure of the White Horse for my group's first adventure, and I think I know how to get them into it easily. But I also want to make sure my geography is correct.

Thanks!

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

Conjure with my name and I shall appear.

In the 4th edition, Earl Robert married the heiress of Uffington (AKA White Horse Vale), Lady Katherine, so the White Horse is within her lands and via the marriage, within Salisbury's lands. Also, since it was the long-form adventure example (in addition to the bear hunt), it made sense to have it mentioned in the Salisbury write-up.

"Salisbury county consists of all the holdings of the Earl of Salisbury. This fief consists primarily of a large land area on Salisbury Plain, and secondarily of the lands around Uffington, known as the White Horse Vale, an area to the north which is separated by other fiefs..."

"Countess Katherine
Glory 2,470
APP 10
Countess of Salisbury and Lady of the White Horse Vale. She is neither greatly beautiful nor intelligent, but is heiress of the White Horse Vale..."

The entries to Uffingham and Uffington were taken off from 5.0 In and Around Salisbury, and their garrison removed, but the comment about hard-riding knights remained: "Hard-riding knights can reach Sarum from anyplace within the county (Uffingham excepted) within 2 days..." (Uffingham excepted) was removed in errata; it is no longer mentioned in 5.1.

Edited by Morien
  • Like 2

Got it. So once Earl Robert is married to Katherine, then White Horse Vale is part of Salisbury. But not util then. 

The confusion stands in 5.x because "The White Horse" in all three editions is listed as being in Salisbury in the description of White Horse. But I know now that is not the case yet and all is fine.

Moving on: Would you happen to know in what county White Horse Vale is a part of before Salisbury gains it through marriage? It looks like it might be in Silchester?

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

6 minutes ago, creativehum said:

Moving on: Would you happen to know in what county White Horse Vale is a part of before Salisbury gains it through marriage? It looks like it might be in Silchester?

Well it remains part of Gentian county, as long as you are talking about county courts etc. BoU: "White Horse, Gentian: Uffington White Horse, Wiltshire"

As for whose fief it is, possibly the Baron of Sparrowhawk/Marlborough.

Edited by Morien

Thank you. 

I just found this in the GPC on p. 152, A Wife for Earl Robert

Knights are needed to take gifts and to negotiate with her liege lord, who might be either the Earl of Rydychan or of Marlboro.

I will make the liege lord the Earl of Rydychan to introduce Rydychan to the players early on. This will pay off later in the Anarchy Period.

Thanks so much!

Edited by creativehum
  • Like 1

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

In my game, the Robert and Katherine match was set up during Anarchy, around the time where Salisbury was attempting to pacify the feuding Knights of Gentian.

Lot's of ways it can be used ^^

Søren A. Hjorth https://thenarrativeexploration.wordpress.com/
- Freelancer Writer, Cultural Distributer, Font of Less Than Useless Knowledge
- Accidental Contributor