Rules for Diving ?

rust

It's a great idea.

I know afew RPGs that base the time to perform a task on the Degree of Success. So maybe a failed roll means a lot of wasted time and not as much work got done. That's what happens on those TV "find a wreck" shows. Somebody dives to the wrong spot, and they waste half the dive just navigating to the right spot.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

In my opinion a failed roll should be interpreted something like this:

Situation: Ok Rusty, you're perched on the side of this vertical steel piling and trying to fix the relay mount. The current is trong here, so you've got one foot on the flange to steady yourself and the safety tether is holding you in place. The Bentho-beasts are making more and more threatening passes. Your dive buddy is trying to hold them off, but won't be able to for long. You've got to get that welding job done, and soon. You've got about 20 seconds to finish this.

(20 seconds later Rusty rolls and the GM interprestes his result)

Failure: Rusty, your having some problems with this weld for some reason and it's not quite where you'd like it to be. You've got two choices - you lean leave it tacked as it is, but you'll have to come back later 'cause it won't hold forever - or you can spend another 20 seconds to get this right the first time - and hopefully your buddy can keep the bentho-beasts off your back.

Fumble: (rolls on Mishap table to get one of the following results)

You lose your footing for a second and have to reach out to steady yourself. In so doing you lose control of the torch for a second and it cut it's own tether. It's now falling into the abyss. Will you go after it?

You lose your footing for a second and have to reach out to steady yourself. In so doing you lose control of the torch for a second and you can see the sparks as it burns something out on your suit. Your oxygen warning light has just come on. You've got maybe a minute of oxygen left and you haven't finished the weld yet.

A dark shadow passes over you. You spin around suddenly to see a bentho-beast right behind you. Surprised you try to get out of the way and accidentally cut into its flesh with the torch. Bentho-blood is seeping out everywhere and osbcuring your vision - and all that blood will drive the others mad with frenzy.

and so on, getting progressively worse. You might even 'weld nearest flange for maximum rolled damage' ;)

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

In my opinion a failed roll should be interpreted something like this: ...

Yes, I think I see your point, and I agree. :)

In my view the Mishap Tables should only include very general notes on possibilities

of what could happen, to serve as an inspiration that allows me to tailor the result

to the specific situation, for example the specific mission the character is on.

The only main difference is that I intend to make a fumble situation dependent on

the skill roll of the "buddy" diver, because I want to force the characters to avoid

their usual "I can go it alone" stunts and to encourage teamwork.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I generally treat failures as minor issues and fumbles as the big "sheep dip" but in high stress/risk situations the failure result becomes "treat as fumble". Fail a swim/diving roll while moving some equipment is not the same as failing a swim/dive roll on a panic ascent.

Thank you, another good idea. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

In my view the Mishap Tables should only include very general notes on possibilities

of what could happen, to serve as an inspiration that allows me to tailor the result

to the specific situation, for example the specific mission the character is on.

Just to be clear, the text above shows the GM interpretations of what he might have rolled on the mishap table - but the table itself might say "Dropped tool"/"Suit damaged"/"Vision obscured". So yes, the mishap table should have general results, although maybe specific consequences should be mentioned ("Vision obscured for 1D6 rounds - all physical actions are difficult for the duration").

In my view, when the PC rolls his skill in danger situations like this he is in the frying pan and trying to get out. If he fails he's still in the frying pan and still trying to get out, but if he fumbles he's in the fire.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb