Battle Modifiers

It seems from reading the Battle System that the Battle Modifiers (eg +5/-5 if your troops outnumber the opponents 2:1, or any given in the GPC for a particular battle) only apply to the Army Commander's tactics roll, and not to any other rolls (eg Battalion Commander's roll, Unit Commander's roll, Weapons rolls).

Am I reading this correctly?

Edited by piersb

Posted (edited)

Also, I'm currently working on the assumption that the Modifiers from the Melee Events roll are reflexive for combat rolls; though this seems like it could be extremely deadly on a 3-5...

Edited by piersb

Further on the Melee Events roll - it seems like that modifier only holds for Battle and Weapon rolls.

So if my PK's unit is engaged at a -10, I could certainly try Fleeing. Although that would put me Alone and give me a Cowardly check, that might still be a better bet than facing off against a nasty Saxon at -10/+10

2 hours ago, piersb said:

Further on the Melee Events roll - it seems like that modifier only holds for Battle and Weapon rolls.

I would apply it also to the Horsemanship/DEX rolls. It is supposed to represent getting swarmed by the enemy or something like that.

3 hours ago, piersb said:

Also, I'm currently working on the assumption that the Modifiers from the Melee Events roll are reflexive for combat rolls; though this seems like it could be extremely deadly on a 3-5...

By RAW, they are not reflexive (it only talks about the players' unit). I agree with you that in principle they should be reflexive, since the events are certainly written as if they are mirroring each side. I am also very fond of reflexive modifiers in general: if you would be getting a bonus if you were on the other end of the situation, then the enemy should, too! It also serves to make the Battles at least a bit more dangerous than they are at the moment, which is a good thing.