Wouldn't a proper Conan series be great?

svensson

Like a lot of you, I grew up on pulp fiction [the middle one... not penny dreadfuls and not the movie with the Scientolo-cultist in it]. I LOVED the Conan novels and Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser and Thieves World. Now, the whole idea of either of the latter two getting a serious shot at a video screen near you is almost ludicrous on its face. Weirder stuff has happened, but I just don't see the fanbase for either one able to pay the CGI bills, much less the actors salaries.

But Conan on the other hand...

Has been eff'ing mangled by a series of so-called producers. I remember seeing 'Conan the Barbarian' as a kid and thinking 'this bullshit isn't in ANY of the books', but I did give it credit for capturing the spirit and scenic ambiance of Howard's creation. And everything else has been total crap.

But just imagine...

Find some twenty-something actor and actually do Conan's story one or two books at a time... do one about every three or four years until by, say, 'Conan 6' the actor LOOKS like King Conan of Aquilonia, gray of hair, weary of the crown, with one more adventure left in him.

How monumentally awesome would that be?

And the military historian in me is compelled to add that the same could be said for Cornwell's Richard Sharpe novels... find a young actor and commit to telling Sharpe's story big-budget, 'Tom Hanks' style over a series of movies staring in India and ending at Waterloo.

• Like 1