Some Problems with Firearms (ca. 1925)

rust

Working on my Asornok setting, I have run into two small problems concerning firearms,

and would welcome the advice of some of the experts here on the forum:

1) I was unable to find out exactly which rifle the Royal Canadian Mounted Police used in

the years around 1925. I think it was the Lee-Metford Rifle, but I am not certain, because

some sources also mention the Winchester Model 1894.

2) My Asor need a hunting rifle that is comparatively cheap, easy to handle even under

arctic conditions, and has enough range and power to hunt caribou, seal and walrus.

I was thinking of the Martini-Enfield Rifle, but this may well be a bad idea.

Thank you for any help with this. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

THis would be a lot easier if it was c. 1927.

1925 is where some of the service records overlap.

The Lee-Metford, Lee-Enfield Magaizine Load (MLE) , Lee-Enfield SMLE Mk I and Mk II were all phased out of service after 1926. But after that, I would expect that the Lee-Enfield (SMLE) Mk III would probably be the most commonly carried rifle from 1927 onwards.

The Winchester repeating rifle was in production, although the Model 1895 seems to be the one that would most likely be carried by Mounties, since it was sold in numbers to the British, and was available chambered in .303, the same as the Lee-Enfield. The Winchester Bolt Action rifle would be another possibility. Most of the other designs would have been a bit dated. Also, one of the major advantages of the earlier Winchester repeaters was that they could be chambered in the same calibers as the popular revolver designs of the era. But that probably wasn't the case with Canadian revolvers.

So for your setting I'd recommend the Lee-Enfield SMLE Mk III as the basic rifle for your North West Mounted Police.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

So for your setting I'd recommend the Lee-Enfield SMLE Mk III as the basic rifle for your North West Mounted Police.

Thank you very much indeed. :)

The Lee-Enfield SMLE fits in very well, especially because there are game stats for that rifle

in the Call of Cthulhu rules.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)