How to master a rune or technique (sorcery)?

Squaredeal Sten

On 12/16/2021 at 4:28 AM, Baron Wulfraed said:

It is per season... There is an explicit assumption that one game session (adventure) is performed per season. Page 8 of RQ:RiG states

Yes, except that it is perfectly feasible that if the characters have cash reserves to spend on their upkeep and are prepared to risk adventuring with reduced rune points, they can potentially knock over another adventure or two in a season.  I have players who utterly hate the prospect of being limited to one adventure a season, and complain bitterly if they can't, and they have point imo.

The length of time spent in adventuring (or /other/ non-occupational activities) is limited by page 422

Yes.  Players may even spend a whole season as downtime if they need to blow their rune points on something other than adventuring, and don't feel confident about heading into danger under-powered.

Spending any time in excess of 3 weeks in activities not tied to the occupation will result in penalties on income rolls. So a 3-week adventure followed by even 1-week in non-occupational activity, in my interpretation, would result in that -20% penalty. My interpretation is that "per three-week period" includes the three weeks adventuring ONCE one goes beyond that period. Otherwise one could adventure, say, five weeks and 6 days (ie; just short of 6 weeks) without being penalized, and adventuring for 6 weeks would incur only one 3-week penalty (and are only spending 25% of the season doing your actual occupation!).

Yes, these are pretty good rules imo.  I like finding reasons for cutting into characters cash reserves, so players gasp and mutter about lost income and talk about selling their magical loot.  It's the whole taking-time-off-work thing.  Will you have a job to go back to?  And the answer in Glorantha is yes, but ouch.