MOV and ENC

windmark8040

I have looked through the BRP tome numerous times, and am having difficulty finding any relation between MOV and ENC.

The closest clue to I have discovered has been this:

The gamemaster can also lower your characters’ MOV attribute temporarily based on circumstances, such as being overburdened, fatigued, cautious movement, etc.

But I could find no other details.

The reasoning behind all of this is a question regarding whether armor's encumbrance will affect a character's base MOV.

Thanks in advance.

I have looked through the BRP tome numerous times, and am having difficulty finding any relation between MOV and ENC.

The closest clue to I have discovered has been this:

But I could find no other details.

The reasoning behind all of this is a question regarding whether armor's encumbrance will affect a character's base MOV.

Thanks in advance.

Your not going to find any in the core book. Nick Middleton, who wrote the awesome Outpost 19 included a set of Load and Fatigue rules that I really liked but they didn't include modifiers for limiting MOV. However he was gracious enough to allow me to use them for Classic Fantasy. I modified them slightly to allow them to reduce MOV based on current load, but still retained the simplicity of the system. While I can't direct you to a copy of the system as they are technically copyright Chaosium now. If you look at the reverse of the Classic Fantasy character sheet, they are summarized and should be rather straight forward.

They have recently showed up on the Rubble and Ruin sheet as well, so they are catching on. Of course, I did the Rubble and Ruin sheet for Rich, so that may be a part of it. :)

Here is the sheet.

Rod

New Sheet v8.pdf

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Cool Avatar! (but... is it blowing me a kiss?)

In previous versions of RQ at least, encumbrance and fatigue did not affect the movement rate - instead it affected how long players could sustain that rate. In other words, you could move just as fast, but not as far as when you were unencumbered.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

In previous versions of RQ at least, encumbrance and fatigue did not affect the movement rate - instead it affected how long players could sustain that rate. In other words, you could move just as fast, but not as far as when you were unencumbered.

Yah, and this is true in real life, but only to a point. I know that someone trained in the use of platemail can run as fast as an unencumbered person for short distances. But the same can't be said for someone with a 150 lb chest of gold strapped to his back. I handle the trained fighter concept in Classic Fantasy by giving the Paladin and Fighter classes (the two that would really be trained to fight while wearing armor) a special ability called Armor Proficiency. This allows them to suffer only half the ENC of any armor worn. The end result is that if they are encumbered with no more than their armor and weapons, they should suffer no MOV penalty. Unless they are really weak, but then they should have stayed home anyway. ;)

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Cool Avatar! (but... is it blowing me a kiss?)

Thanks, Thalaba- And no, I believe he is PURSING his lips... =)

purse

v to close (the lips) tightly- He pursed his lips in anger.

I did find an option from MRQ2, called Overloading.

Overloading

An Adventurer carrying total ENC greater than his STR+SIZ is Overloaded.

• Overloaded characters suffer a –20% penalty to all tests that require physical actions, including Weapon Skill Tests and most tests that have DEX or STR as a Characteristic (some exceptions being Sleight and Mechanisms).

• Overloaded characters have their Movement halved. They also suffer a –20% penalty to all Fatigue tests.

I will probably attempt to house-rule this into my game, somehow...:-/