Jonstown Compendium: The Children of Hykim

Brian Duguid

I'm making headway into entering the character creation details into my online character generator.

I'm a bit stuck on what to enter for "Worship (...)" and "Cult Lore (...)" for some of them though! Many are obvious, such as references to Akkar in the text on the Akkari, Telmor is obvious for the Telmori, but some are not. Does anyone fancy having a go at making a list of what the cult name would be for the various hsunchen peoples detailed in the book?

Akkari  
Flari  
Hogari  
Kloisari  
Lotari  
Rathori  
Rinkoni  
Sabadari  
Uncoling  
Zonati  
Alekki  
Caroni  
Damali  
Falani  
Galanini  
Telmori  
Didelfi  
Mraloti  
Pralori  
Basmoli  
Puma  
Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I'm a bit stuck on what to enter for "Worship (...)" and "Cult Lore (...)" for some of them though! Many are obvious, such as references to Akkar in the text on the Akkari, Telmor is obvious for the Telmori, but some are not. Does anyone fancy having a go at making a list of what the cult name would be for the various hsunchen peoples detailed in the book?

Akkari Akkar
Flari Flara
Hogari Hogar
Kloisari Kloisara
Lotari Lotara
Rathori Rathor
Rinkoni Rinkona
Sabadari Sabadar
Uncoling Uncol
Zonati Zonat
Alekki Alekk
Caroni Carona
Damali Damala
Falani Falana
Galanini Galana
Telmori Telmor
Didelfi Papa Possum
Mraloti Mralota
Pralori Pralor
Basmoli Basmol
Puma Puma tradition

I've typed them in above in the forms used in the book: all the names above appear in the book except for the puma people (see below). Note that some of the deities / ancestors have dual names e.g. both Mralot and Mralota appear in different sources. I've used the ones above which are used in the book. In some cases they don't agree with other Gloranthan publications, sometimes deliberately.

The table is missing the Gord-Un tribe (from v1.2 of the book), whose ancestor in the book is Grandfather Gopher or Grandmother Gopher (take your pick!)

In the book, it has Most Ancient First Grandmother and Most Ancient First Grandfather as the ancestral entities for the puma people (SheHe was the "first" Puma, but is perhaps analogous to Mikyh/Hykim). But those are very long names, so I've suggested using "Puma tradition".

And in fact you could use that as a cop-out throughout, with "Worship (Rathori tradition)", "Cult Lore (Damali tradition)", etc. That might be best.

Edited by Brian Duguid
typo corrections
  • Thanks 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

4 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

I've typed them in above in the forms used in the book: all the names above appear in the book except for the puma people (see below).

Thanks, that's saved me a ton of time.

4 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

And in fact you could use that as a cop-out throughout, with "Worship (Rathori tradition)", "Cult Lore (Damali tradition)", etc. That might be best.

I could... but that's quite long, and there is limited space in the sheet layout.

Can you clarify something other things as well please:

Do Rathori get Transform Self?
Do Uncolings get Extension?

I'm very close to finishing now... just need to do everything for the Gord-Un, as I was working from the older PDF until today...

31 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Do Rathori get Transform Self?

Yes. "For the cult of Rathor, use normal Hsunchen spells". The normal spells are on page 25-26 of the current version of TCoH, and include Transform Self.

32 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Do Uncolings get Extension?

As per page 25 of the current edition, Extension is a standard spell for all Hsunchen tribes unless otherwise noted. The text for the Uncolings seems to imply they may not have it, but that's an error. It was one of the very first tribes I wrote up and I just never edited it to be more in line with the others. Oops!

• Like 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

I guess it's also worth noting that we can expect (source: Well of Daliath website) the official versions of the Rathori, Mraloti, Pralori, Basmoli and Telmori cults in one of the Cults of RuneQuest books some time in the next year or so. They will almost certainly not match mine precisely.

--

2 minutes ago, Brian Duguid said:

I guess it's also worth noting that we can expect (source: Well of Daliath website) the official versions of the Rathori, Mraloti, Pralori, Basmoli and Telmori cults in one of the Cults of RuneQuest books some time in the next year or so. They will almost certainly not match mine precisely.

Everything from the JC that I'm adding is "optional extra", has to be merged in by clicking a button, and is prefixed with an acronym for the publication, so yours will always be "COH Rathori", "COH Mraloti", and the official ones will just be "Rathori", "Mraloti" etc. so the two sets of numbers can live side by side.

The only complication is if a weapon added in JC clashes name with a new core book weapon as I haven't prefixed those. Maybe I should, such as "COH Quill". I've gone with "Quill Contact" and "Quill Dart" so that would be "COH Quill Contact" and "COH Quill Dart". Those probably won't clash, but "Katana" from Pirates of the East Isles might.

• Like 1

Okay it's looking good, just a few more minor details to fill in. Plus a lot of testing to do!

When they get "Insight (totem beast)", is that in addition to the normal "Insight (own species)" that everyone usually gets? Or is "Insight (gopher)" applicable both to gophers and to Gord-un folk?

And if it's in addition, do you think they should get "Insight (Human)" or "Insight (Hsunchen)" or "Insight (Akkari)" etc.?

Likewise, Customs (...), Human? Hsunchen? Akkari?

Homeland Lore, I'm going to put the main homeland sections such as Ralios for Alekki, Caroni, Damali. Basmoli will get Prax, Pent for Gord-un, and Puma... I'll leave it blank, the player can fill it in. Anyone can change what gets put in automatically anyway.

Anywhere that says "Bow" I've given Self Bow, and "1H Spear" I've given "1H Short Spear". The user can change any of these values after they've been filled in.

Edited by PhilHibbs

When they get "Insight (totem beast)", is that in addition to the normal "Insight (own species)" that everyone usually gets? Or is "Insight (gopher)" applicable both to gophers and to Gord-un folk?

My intention was in addition. So "Insight (bear)" for a Rathori.

And if it's in addition, do you think they should get "Insight (Human)" or "Insight (Hsunchen)" or "Insight (Akkari)" etc.?

Yes, "Insight (human)" at the standard starting level. I don't see Hsunchen or Akkari as a separate species, not for this skill.

Likewise, Customs (...), Human? Hsunchen? Akkari?

In the RQG core rulebook, "Customs (X)" is per social group, so I'd have "Customs (Akkari)" etc, similar to "Customs (Grazeland Pony Breeders)" as a Homeland cultural skill bonus in the core book.

Homeland Lore, I'm going to put the main homeland sections such as Ralios for Alekki, Caroni, Damali. Basmoli will get Prax, Pent for Gord-un, and Puma... I'll leave it blank, the player can fill it in. Anyone can change what gets put in automatically anyway.

That seems reasonable.

Edited by Brian Duguid
typo fixed

--

Okay I'm done...

v1.10.1 Beta 2:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TOTPT3xOP6FLSXHwfUmvdahwrjPcy0YJenrp4-_mIYQ

• Added Children of Hykim character creation content.
  • Changed the Man and Beast calculations to take into account other form runes. If your Dragonewt rune goes up by 10, your Man Rune will go down by 10. If you want to lose the points off Beast instead, then put a +10 in Man or -10 in Beast, or 5 to split the change.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for everything you are doing with this tool, Phil, including your support for the community content creators!

I will have a play with it and test out the COH elements when I get some time.

• Like 2

--

• 2 weeks later...

There have been a couple of more detailed reviews of this book recently, so if you are in two minds about whether it might be for you, feel free to take a look:

http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/2023/03/jonstown-jottings-77-children-of-hykim.html

https://akhelas.com/2023/03/10/review-children-of-hykim/

I'm not expecting to make any more updates to the book until the Cults of RuneQuest volume featuring the Hykimi cults is published, and that is likely to only be a short supplement highlighting and advising how to deal with any differences that arise.

• Like 3

--

• 3 months later...

For the next two weeks, you can get the PDF version of The Children of Hykim for 25% off, in DriveThruRPG's Christmas in July sale.

http://tiny.cc/TCoH

Xmas in July advert 25 per cent off_1.png

• Like 4

--

• 7 months later...

20% off The Children of Hykim (and it's sister book The Voralans) in DriveThruRPG's GM's day sale for the next 10 days.

GMsDay advert reduced.jpg

• Like 2

--