Running Domenwood with Mythras: Thoughts on Converting Sandestins

Aden Beroya

I'm gearing up to run a Dolmenwood campaign using Mythras, Lyonesse, Mythic Britain and Mythic Constantinople. I like the idea of including sandestins, but I'd rather tweak them to be spirits, rather than utilize a wholly separate magic system. 

For this campaign most magicians would be animists (Sorcery being reserved for the Drune, Theism for Witches) and including sandestins seems like an excellent way of allowing access to unique spells (sandestin abilities), ala Mythic Britian's Spirit Powers. My quick and dirty ideas for converting sandestins to spirits are below.

• Acquiring sandestins in the first place requires traveling to an otherworld (e.g. Lyonesse's Tanjecterly) or the use of an already bound sandestin (this would require a new sandestin ability.)
  • Both binding and calling upon an already bound sandestin would cap the magician's bind skill by their commerce (or maybe "Bureaucracy (Sandestins)" skill.
  • Bound sandestins allow the casting of whichever sandestin abilities they have access to, similarly to spirits in Mythic Britain.  Sandestins cast their abilities using their Willpower, capped by the magician's commerce skill. 

Finally I modified the Lyonesse "Spirit Being Table" to provide stats for sandestins. 

Intensity

POW

STR

DEX

INT

HP

Weapon Size and Damage

Action Points

Sandestin

Abilities

1d6+6

1d6+2

2d6+4

1d6+6

1d6+6

M/1d6

1d3

1d6+12

1d6+4

2d6+8

1d6+12

1d6+12

M/1d6

1d3

1d6+18

1d6+6

2d6+12

1d6+18

1d6+18

M/1d6

2d3

1d6+24

1d6+8

2d6+16

1d6+24

1d6+24

L/1d8

2d3

1d6+30

1d6+10

2d6+20

1d6+30

1d6+30

L/1d8

3d3

1d6+36

1d6+12

2d6+24

1d6+36

1d6+36

L/1d8

3d3

+1

+6

+2

+4

+1

+6

H/1d10

+1 per two steps

+1 per two steps

I haven't worked axioms into the conversion, which feels like a shame (though maybe they could act as subtypes similarly to elementals?) 

In any event this is still a WIP and I'm a newcomer to Mythras so I'd love some feedback on this idea.

Thanks

• Like 1