Chaos, Time, & the Great Compromise

mfbrandi

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

There would seem to be plenty of kinds of spirituality/religion still available

oh I make a big difference between religion and reality / presence of god(s) 🙂

there is no reason than gloranthan couldn't have faith and believe in gods even if they can't join them (for any reason, new compromise, because they aren't any more, because the god plane is now severed from the mundane world, etc...)

another option I have* is there are "new gods"... not the same nature than the previous one but "just" some mortal who achieved during the big change ( 3rd -> 4th age) or before to get some "resistance to time in mundane world" and other powers a god may have... Zzabbur (with his name or another one), could become one of them (after all he is not a god like the previous were, so why not be venerated as himself, or as a kind of nature force, or as a old god name )

* If I succeed to write my "novel" (i m not a writer 😛 )

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 9:07 PM, mfbrandi said:

Of course, it is true that Chaos will end everything, eventually, but that doesn’t make it monstrous or evil.

ORLY?

evil

ē′vəl

adjective

1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked.
  2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful.
  3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous.
  4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous.
  5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious.
Edited by Darius West
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Darius West said:
evil …
  1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked.
  2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful.
  3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous.
  4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous.
  5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious.

If we have chaos as the end of everything, what does that give us out of that list?

• causing ruin, injury, or pain
  • harmful
  • ominous

So evil in the sense that one might call the sun or the ocean evil.

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

On 11/27/2022 at 10:23 PM, mfbrandi said:

If we have chaos as the end of everything, what does that give us out of that list?

• causing ruin, injury, or pain
  • harmful
  • ominous

So evil in the sense that one might call the sun or the ocean evil.

No, far more malicious than Yelm and Magasta, and neither of them are nice guys.

Edited by Darius West
  • Thanks 1

I stumbled across this today, and it kinda–sorta fits:

Here [Norman Girardot] expands his earlier thesis that it was Taoist thinkers who conceived of the idea of chaos as a central cosmogonic concept in classical China. He reiterates his argument that such a concept had a pejorative connotation for Confucian philosophers whose “mythos ignores and denigrates cosmogony and focuses entirely on the secondary creation of the civilized order.” By “secondary creation of the civilized order” Girardot means the origin of benevolent government and the invention of a civilized system of social order that is related as a utopian story of the golden age in antiquity in texts of the Confucian canon, particularly the Ancient History. Girardot postulates that, primarily because the concept of chaos had a positive value for Taoists, who had no horror vacui, they viewed it as a ”fertile space” linked to the mystery of creation and were thus intellectually freer to explore the cosmogonic concept and principle in their writings. For the Taoists, Girardot maintains, chaos was not the absence of all order so much as the necessary precondition for creation to unfold.Anne Birrell

Edited by mfbrandi
whitespace
  • Thanks 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST