Comparing Systems

soltakss

I am trying to write up some creatures for BRP but have had some problems with things like Damage Bonus, Hit Points and Movement.

To help me, I have produced a spreadsheet that compares these things between different versions of RQ/BRP. It compares RQ2/RQ3/BRP/MRQ1/MRQ2, which are the systems that I know.

To see the spreadsheet, have a look at http://www.soltakss.com/RQComparison.xls.

The first sheet shows Hit Points per Location for each system, based on SIZ+CON for all systems but RQ2, which uses Hit Points.

The second sheet shows Damage Bonuses based on STR+SIZ. MRQ only goes up to 5D10 and there doesn't seem to be an easy formula to work out higher ranges.

The third sheet shows Movement, comparing the movement of creatures across the systems. I've tried to include most of the creatures that can be found across the systems, but I am probably missing a number of them.

If anyone can spot any errors then please let me know. For RQ3 Hit Locations, I used the formula rather than the values in the tables as the tables from RQ3 are incorrect.

Can you think of anything else that could be easily compared between systems?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Can you think of anything else that could be easily compared between systems?

Possibly hit locations. I think BRP uses the RQ3 locations but RQ2, RQ3 and MRQ use different spreads.

I must admit it would also be nice to compare average SIZ ratings.

I would also for technical reasons be interested to know how natural weapon attacks (not including damage bonus) compare.

So quite a few things really :)

I have added hit locations. These are from:

[RQ2] RQ2 Rulebook/Gateway Bestiary

[RQ3] RQ3 Rulebook (Creatures Book / Glorantha Book) / Gloranthan Bestiary

[MRQ1] SRD

[MRQ2] MRQ2 Rulebook

I have not included all creature classes as it is tedious and picky work, nor have I included all the weird creatures from Gloranthan Bestiary. There are some gaps but it is probably complete enough to be used.

Natural Weapons and SIZ Ranges will have to wait for a while, unfortunately, unless someone else wants to have a go ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

I was surprised. I thought that RQ3 and RQ2 were similar, except for the Melee/Missile locations, but it looks as though a lot of the creatures were split up and made slightly different.

RQM seems to have used a combination of RQ2/3 but has tweaked the numbers slightly. BRP uses hit locations as an optional rule, so I would just use RQ3 locations.

Some creatures have been tweaked slightly to account for tails (such as newtlings), others have been changed a fair bit, Manticores and Cockatrices for example.

One thing I can't understand is that Manticores used to have 4 legs and a pair of wings (RQ2) but have hit locations for 4 legs and no wings in RQ3/MRQ even though they are illustrated with wings. I'd use the RQ2 locations for Manticores.

If I have the time, I'll add some other creatures, but don't hold your breath as it took a while to do and isn't the most interesting of tasks.