Hero Wars Program?

Wolfhead

I remember, back in the Before Times, there was a program for Hero Wars that showed the outcome of contests and you could enter the players and their skill levels etc.  It would be handy for my HQ2 campaign but the author has not worked on it for years. I wonder if (with the author's permission ofc) I could use ChatGPT to update it?

Does anyone have a link to the program?

Why not share publicly? 😄

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17o-0FHGCUUI37Vrn88MyMWDkQmY9uaQ1?usp=sharing

There are 3 zip files

• hw_20010827.jar is the java archive, runnable with Java (it's over 20 years, I don't remember how). A .jar file is a Java archive and is openable with programs such as 7-zip
  • hw_20010827_full.jar is as above, and also contains a copy of the source code
  • hw_20010827_src.zip is just the source code
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Man, I remember this! I had a bunch of stuff for my campaign set up in it. I can't wait to see where this goes!

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

• 2 months later...

I have downloaded this and got it to compile and indeed run enough to display the dialog and add participants. Whether it actually works in a useable manner is another thing!

I didn't have to change it too much to get it to run with Java 7 (actually Java 11 compiling it as Java 7).

This program is GPLed, but owned by Charles Corrigan - who I assume posted the source.

Would it be useful to have this in github (or some other cloud-accessible code repository of choice), I could do that but it would look like I own it (which I very much don't).

image.png.968f268872be20203d6769888d19458b.png

Edited by Mark(at)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2023 at 9:36 PM, Mark(at) said:

This program is GPLed, but owned by Charles Corrigan - who I assume posted the source.

Would it be useful to have this in github (or some other cloud-accessible code repository of choice), I could do that but it would look like I own it (which I very much don't).

image.png.968f268872be20203d6769888d19458b.png

You are free to host it in GitHub, don’t worry about appearances. Just leave the original copyright statement in and, where and when appropriate, then add your own. Etiquette suggests that minor edits to get it running in the latest Java is not a substantial work, while changing it to be compatible with QuestWorlds would be major and would require additional permissions from Chaosium.