Base Chances for Creatures as Player Characters

Ravenheart87

Just like previous edition, the creatures section gives a bunch of skills for non-human species, but does not elaborate on how to handle them during character creation other than a not too useful sentence:

"It is assumed in most cases that these statistics represent full-grown or mature versions of the creatures, meaning that the GM should be able to limit the range of powers available to a player character version of the creature, with the assumption that in time, the player character creature may learn these additional powers and special abilities."

Okay, limit it, but by how much? What base chances should I use? If you like tinkering you will figure something out, but that's not too useful for neophytes of the system.

How do you handle base chances for non-humans? Do you just use human base chances? Do you have a finely crafted list of your own? Do you use the numbers given in the bestiary as base chances, but hand out less skill points at character creation? Or do you do something entirely else?

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

I would use the skill category bonus as a guide. From that, you could either use the bonus as a base chance, or add it to the existing base chance. For even better percentages, instead of following the table just add the stat number itself. 

for example combat skills could be a base chance of dex + str. If you don’t want all combat skills to be the same then modify with a +1d6. 

I’m pretty fast and loose with the rules, but it’s also hard to “break” BRP. 

Roll up a few test characters this way and see if they seem overpowered or not. 

Pro-tip: my “test” characters always become NPCs sooner or later, so it’s never a waste of time. 

Edited by Nakana
  • Like 1

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal.