Clarification on the timeline

Moragion

On 10/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, g33k said:

I don't expect Chaosium to substantially advance the timeline/metaplot (*).

I do, with more detail of the Hero Wars.

We know the basic shape of things, if we want to lore-delve; but the *players* are supposed be making the future, their characters joining the Hero Wars.

I have run a group through the Hero Wars twice, with great success. Each time the Adventurers were the focus, driving events and performing many of the deeds described in King of Sartar, not as contrived events, but as natural things that came out of the Campaign.

The deeper into the future Chaosium publishes Greg's metaplot, the less and less there is scope for the PCs.

Absolutely wrong, in my experience. The deeper I went into the metaplot the more scope the Adventurers had to change things or to follow the broad brush approach. Nobody felt railroaded into everything, we changed a lot of stuff through the actions of the Adventurers and made the Hero Wars their own. I cannot remember Mello Yello becoming the Golden Dragon Emperor of Dara Happa in the official metaplot, for example.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here