Pendragon Foundry VTT implementation

Dangermouse

I'm pleased to announce that the beta version of the Pendragon Starter Set implementation for Foundry VTT is now available for testing.  If you have experience with using Foundry VTT and playing Pendragon and want to test the system then it would be great if you could  help.   You can import the system to Foundry using the manifest URL https://github.com/Genii-Locorum/Pendragon/releases/latest/download/system.json

Please raise any issues or development requests through https://github.com/Genii-Locorum/Pendragon

Whilst the implementation is endorsed by Chaosium this is a community built implementation so please direct any questions to me (and not Chaosium).  I can usually be found on the Foundry Discord channel or contacted via the BRP boards (Dangermouse on both options) and am happy to answer questions where I can."

Edited by Dangermouse
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dangermouse said:

Can you send me a screenshot of any error message and I'll try to figure out the issue.

Today I verified that it was a problem with the version of Foundry that I had installed 😅

I just updated it and I think it works perfectly now. Thank you so much! It looks wonderful.

In any case, I understand that this is a preliminary version, right? I haven't found a way to include new skills.

11 hours ago, Prixel said:

Today I verified that it was a problem with the version of Foundry that I had installed 😅

I just updated it and I think it works perfectly now. Thank you so much! It looks wonderful.

In any case, I understand that this is a preliminary version, right? I haven't found a way to include new skills.

So it is a beta version - oppossing rolls is one thing I know I need to do - and nothing there for battles - some of the beta testing is to call these things out and to prioritise development - the more people that shout about something the sooner I may get round to doing it.  But the basic structure and functionality should all be there.

You should be able to create new skills (see screenshot) - and then drag them from the item list to the character sheet.  

Have you imported the various compendium to the game world as the skills should all be there (along with some instructions on how to do various things)?  Feel free to drop me a DM if you want to work through any of this in detail.

Cheers

Simon

image.png

Edited by Dangermouse
  • Helpful 1

• Dangermouse changed the title to Pendragon Foundry VTT implementation

Hello there dangermouse!

Great that someone is doing this - and that you have the unofficial blessing of chaosium.

Would love to help out with feedback. I can honestly say i had the most fun I've had for ages when i played the starter set with my most dedicated player! The passions and traits play really well, the d20 version of BRP really is, in my opinion, quite a bit better than the usual d100 one, and a LOT of the stuff they have put in - like battles gave - fun, nail-biting and satisfying outcomes! I could give many examples.

My limitations are that time is a bit scarce as, amongst other things, we are self-employed and have to do a bit juggling of our work thanks to the cost of living crisis here in hte UK. My gaming time has decreased for the present. But i will give as much feedback as i can. Also i'm not a developer - my youngest son is and when we talk these things i realise how much i have to learn - and foundry vtt is great but it's very developer-friendliness makes it a bit harder to use for us who aren't.

The plus side is that i do have a lot experience in using foundry and, of course, have been playing frpgs for years.

Also let me know if you prefer discord for all this.

So:

At the moment i have it all installed in foundry vtt but the only items displaying are Passions Skills and Traits. i notice in the image above others like Armour are present. Have you created those in  your set up? I know from experience (like the Foundry Castles and Crusades when it was in beta) that you need to import content as well as system which can be more tricky in beta (for people like me).

Obviously just  reply when you can.

thanks again!

Andrew

Edited by snotereceorlas
to be more precise

7 hours ago, snotereceorlas said:

Hello there dangermouse!

Great that someone is doing this - and that you have the unofficial blessing of chaosium.

Would love to help out with feedback. I can honestly say i had the most fun I've had for ages when i played the starter set with my most dedicated player! The passions and traits play really well, the d20 version of BRP really is, in my opinion, quite a bit better than the usual d100 one, and a LOT of the stuff they have put in - like battles gave - fun, nail-biting and satisfying outcomes! I could give many examples.

My limitations are that time is a bit scarce as, amongst other things, we are self-employed and have to do a bit juggling of our work thanks to the cost of living crisis here in hte UK. My gaming time has decreased for the present. But i will give as much feedback as i can. Also i'm not a developer - my youngest son is and when we talk these things i realise how much i have to learn - and foundry vtt is great but it's very developer-friendliness makes it a bit harder to use for us who aren't.

The plus side is that i do have a lot experience in using foundry and, of course, have been playing frpgs for years.

Also let me know if you prefer discord for all this.

So:

At the moment i have it all installed in foundry vtt but the only items displaying are Passions Skills and Traits. i notice in the image above others like Armour are present. Have you created those in  your set up? I know from experience (like the Foundry Castles and Crusades when it was in beta) that you need to import content as well as system which can be more tricky in beta (for people like me).

Obviously just  reply when you can.

thanks again!

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I appreciate how busy life can be but any testing and feedback would be great.  If it helps I'm not a developer either (I've learned the coding needed as I've gone on) - so if things aren't obvious or easy to use then please call them out and I'll see what I can do.

I'm easy with feedback here or on Discord - whatever works.  I'll log bugs, requested features etc on Github.

On the topic of armour etc what I'm about to say is my personal approach but shaped by conversations with my Chaosium rep.  If something appears on the character sheet then it's ok for me to put in the Foundry implementation - stats, skills, traits and passions are all good examples - but the names only.  Any longer passages of text that are in the rule book and not the character sheet isn't appropriate for my implementation.  So Armour, Horses etc don't appear in the implementation as compendiums - but you can create it all yourself.  So there is a "Horse" item with the right data - you'll just need to create them (hopefully I've included some instructions in the compendia).

I hope that helps explain why I've not included some things as compendia - but rest assured the functionality exists for you to be able to populate them.  Please do shout if you want to go through any of it and happy to do a teach in/show and tell on what I'd do.

Cheers, and thanks for helping out with whatever testing you can fit in

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Jesse - any feedback welcome.  I know I havent done oppossed rolls - I'm trying to work my way through the logic of doing them for Basic Role Playing and then if I get that sorted I will reuse the code here.

If there's anything missing (not content such as horses, armour etc - you'll need to set those up yourself) let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I've got one eye on the full sixth edition when it comes out and see what else needs building then (Battles, Banquets etc probably)

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while but Beta version 8 is now released

• Added opposed rolls. Only the first roll added to card enters the Reflex Modifier.
  • Refactored other rolls to adjust for the new opposed rolls
  • Added tooltips for various roll options
  • Added a game setting at user level to determine whether a roll is made with or without a dialogue box 
    Default is a dialogue box appears and SHIFT means no dialogue box. Turning this on reverses this position.
  • Added combat rolls from weapons, similar to opposed rolls, which in turn allows a follow on damage roll for the succesful parties.
  • AutoXP added - if the GM selects this in game settings then you XP checkboxes will be automatically ticked on a Successful roll or a Fumble.
    In the case of traits a Fumble grants a tick to the opposing trat. For combat rolls the underlying skill is ticked
  • Hotbar macros enabled for Skills, Traits, Passions and Weapons (from the combat tab)
  • Like 1

I'm testing this and the first bug I found is damage. It is maxed out on 20. 

The second bug is with NPC's card. I can't even get to damage. I can win the oppose roll, but there is no damage roll. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kivak said:

I'm testing this and the first bug I found is damage. It is maxed out on 20. 

The second bug is with NPC's card. I can't even get to damage. I can win the oppose roll, but there is no damage roll. 

KIvak - ok I didnt wait until Monday, found and sorted the dice damage maxing out at 20.  It'll be out in the next release

Are you rolling the attack from the Weapon on the Combat tab?  If you roll from the Skills tab its an opposed roll, whereas if you roll from the weapon it's a combat roll.  Opposed rolls won't let you do damage.  If it's not that - then it might be ownership/GM - sorry if this is a basic question but are you the GM?
image.png.fc59c6e04aec71d01f7f4a6037a5bbaa.png

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be having an issue where whenever I select a character actor token in a scene, the entire background goes black and nothing else is visible. This has happened on a fresh install of a world with no mods added. It does not matter whether the token has an attached image or not. Just in case it was something I had done, I re-tested with a fresh character with no alterations to stats, with a blank grey square background image. The grey square image went black the same way.

This does not happen with NPC tokens which seem to work fine. If I add the NPC to a combat round first and then add in a character, using the encounter system to switch between them (because I can't see where anything is when it goes black otherwise), the background image goes black with the character and then back to normal when I select the NPC.

• Like 1

Ok so in retrospect the reason was rather obvious! The issue is that characters are created by default with 'vision enabled' on, which means they won't see anything unless you've added light into the scene, which I was not used to doing automatically when testing.

• Like 1

It's great work on this, and all the rolls function. Can I ask if it is practical to put in a way to modify the default value calculations? Say, for example, a character receives a faerie gift giving him +5 hit points. Right now I cannot implement that.

Sorry @Ushgarak- missed these over the weekend.  Glad the token vision is sorted.  I will look to add a game setting so you can choose the default.

I'll also look to add something about Bonuses to HP.  What other "things" do you want to be able to modify.  I'll see what I can add - although it's probably a month or two before the next release.  I seem to have way more on than I can properly cope with at the moment.

I mean absolutely ideally it would be nice to have ultimate control over any value if need be, like Move. But I don't have to listen to Move if need be, whilst Hit Points is the most important because it's such an active stat and would be fiddly to fudge. It might be nice to be able to apply on-the-spot modifiers to damage rolls too, unless that's already in.

Also, it's nice how wounds are tracked, but is there any way that applying or removing damage could also be applied directly to the character token by typing into the tracker bar there, like in other Foundry games? I assume the hard coding of hit points/wounds prevents that as is.

(As a side note, not that I mind, but I can currently give negative wounds to NPCs to increase their hit points past their maximum)

Can I double check how weapon parries are meant to be handled? Is the idea to create a separate 'parry' version of the weapon and equip it as armour?

No worries on the timescale- I'm not going to run until I've had time to digest the new edition anyway, and ideally I want the new GPC version. Happy to test out whatever needs testing- again, you've done amazing work.

9 hours ago, Ushgarak said:

I mean absolutely ideally it would be nice to have ultimate control over any value if need be, like Move. But I don't have to listen to Move if need be, whilst Hit Points is the most important because it's such an active stat and would be fiddly to fudge. It might be nice to be able to apply on-the-spot modifiers to damage rolls too, unless that's already in.

Also, it's nice how wounds are tracked, but is there any way that applying or removing damage could also be applied directly to the character token by typing into the tracker bar there, like in other Foundry games? I assume the hard coding of hit points/wounds prevents that as is.

(As a side note, not that I mind, but I can currently give negative wounds to NPCs to increase their hit points past their maximum)

Can I double check how weapon parries are meant to be handled? Is the idea to create a separate 'parry' version of the weapon and equip it as armour?

No worries on the timescale- I'm not going to run until I've had time to digest the new edition anyway, and ideally I want the new GPC version. Happy to test out whatever needs testing- again, you've done amazing work.

I've added (in my working copy) adjustments for Max HP, Damage (adds to the character damage score, not the rolled damage directly), Move and Armour.  Any others you want (I think that covers most of them unless you want adjustments to the knockdown, major wound score etc).

I'll have to have a think about the Token angle.  It might be doable for NPCs as wounds arent individual items for them, but suspect not for PCs.  I'll add it to my "To Do" list to consider.

Thanks for the heads up on negative wounds for NPCs - will fix that.

I've added Parry as a value to the weapon (rather than as part of a description) and doing some rework on combat rolls.  At the moment combat is fairly unautomated - you can get told who wins/looses and if they can use their armour/shield.  I'll look to add "Parry" in there as well.   But at the moment it's a message/reminder.  I'm trying to balance automation vs becoming a video game v letting players and GMs alter things.   I'm reasonably confident that I could automate it so that when you roll damage it reduces the damage by the Armour/Shield/Parry and then create the wound if there was a target.  But that removes the GMs ability to want to adjust things.  I could add a setting to let the GM select automation or not.  Hmmm, just spitballing here a bit.     For now I'll keep things simple and unautomated - but happy to revisit when I get the next release out.

And thank you for the kind words -much appreciated.  And keep the feedback coming. 

2 hours ago, Dangermouse said:

I've added (in my working copy) adjustments for Max HP, Damage (adds to the character damage score, not the rolled damage directly), Move and Armour.  Any others you want (I think that covers most of them unless you want adjustments to the knockdown, major wound score etc).

I'll have to have a think about the Token angle.  It might be doable for NPCs as wounds arent individual items for them, but suspect not for PCs.  I'll add it to my "To Do" list to consider.

Thanks for the heads up on negative wounds for NPCs - will fix that.

I've added Parry as a value to the weapon (rather than as part of a description) and doing some rework on combat rolls.  At the moment combat is fairly unautomated - you can get told who wins/looses and if they can use their armour/shield.  I'll look to add "Parry" in there as well.   But at the moment it's a message/reminder.  I'm trying to balance automation vs becoming a video game v letting players and GMs alter things.   I'm reasonably confident that I could automate it so that when you roll damage it reduces the damage by the Armour/Shield/Parry and then create the wound if there was a target.  But that removes the GMs ability to want to adjust things.  I could add a setting to let the GM select automation or not.  Hmmm, just spitballing here a bit.     For now I'll keep things simple and unautomated - but happy to revisit when I get the next release out.

And thank you for the kind words -much appreciated.  And keep the feedback coming. 

It's not as important to be able twiddle with Knockdown etc. because all that sort of thing does is set a state which I can always un-set if I think the circumstances warrant an intervention- still, whilst not a priority, if it could be managed that any stat could be twiddled if need be, it'd be good.

Great that Parry is going in like that- it will half the time needed to make weapons like that, and handy for players to be able to see at a glance what their expected armour +parry values will be.

If you can indeed put in targeting automation like that it would be amazing., The one thing missing from Foundry's very good Starfinder implementation is auto-resolution of attack rolls like that. Of course, it's no big deal to resolve combat rolls manually, and Pendragon is relatively simple in that respect (unlike Starfinder's 15,000 or so feats that can change rolls) but every edge helps. At least nine times out of ten, the automated result is all you need. I'm only thinking about edge cases. Talking of which- with the damage altering, would it be possible to get a shift-click dialogue box (or shift-click opt out, if the default is changed) when rolling damage if need be? For example, I have some supernatural enemies who take reduced damage from mundane weapons. It's easy enough just to alter the damage value after the roll, but if it was possible to give modifiers to the damage/armour roll itself, that'd be even easier.

I'll keep at it and let you know when things arise!

Im sure most things are possible.  In Rivers of London I have pretty much automated combat so you select target, make the attack roll, press the "damage" button and it then applies the damage to the target adjusting for armour etc - and that has different damage and armour types (eg. ballistic armour protecting against gunfire whilst a stab-vest doesnt).

Please keep this stuff in mind - once I get the basics done then let's revisit.  Anything that's easy to change I will do as I go along - just the bigger bits I need to think a bit more about 🙂

18 hours ago, echomikedelta said:

Any plans on adding Manor sheets and other items to the module?

The short answer is yes. 

the slightly longer answer is - but when depends on 6th edition releases. The system so far is built on 6th Ed starter set. I’m loathe to add something that then turns out to be in conflict with the official release. So I could add manors now (time permitting) but I’d rather know how they operate under 6th Ed so I build them properly.