God Learners Maps differencies between the Guide and Mythology book

Beorne

Finally in my very very long march to the end of the wondeful Guide of Glorantha I reached the God Learners Maps. Having Just purchased the Mythology book I have read it in parallel with the Mythic Map Section of the Mythology book.
The two sections are similar but more different than I would have expected. In short the Mythology book has less infos about the est, the south and the west and some more infos about the north. Very few Thinobutu, almost no Loper People, no six original people of Danmalastan, storm ages became lesser darkness, some events changed era.
Why? Is the guide out of official canon or they will be explored further in the future in other supplements? 
Thanks.

The six original peoples of Danmalastan are still there just under different names.  Thinobutu is now part of the Empire of New Serenity (which I suspect is a God Learner construct as the original sequence of events there is a mess).  Storm Age and Lesser Darkness have been interchangeable for some time although I like the Guide's interpretation that the Lesser Darkness was really the Late Storm Age.  The dating of events is largely one of style and interpretation methinks. 

Kingdom of Logic
Also called the Kingdom of Logic, this peaceful and
undisturbed land is inhabited by six original tribes, which
include the boatpeople, the explorers, the makers, the
magicians, the philosophers, and the scribes. (RB, BB, SC)

Cults of Runequest: Mythology p88

The only change is that the Kachasti speakers are now the Magicians.

If you have access to Arcane Lore, it's worth comparing the Golden Age map from that (pages 61-64) with both Mythology (page 86 in the PDF version) and The Guide (pages 682-683).

You'll note that the "sources" (K, DC, GC, MN) come from Greg's earlier text and sketches; they were omitted in the Guide; and they reappear in Mythology, alongside others, some of which are fairly obviously traceable (UL to Uz Lore, and SC to GRoY). From that, and the content of the maps, I think that what Mythology is presenting is intended to be a more comprehensive effort, with closer fidelity to certain source material, than was the case in the Guide, which was perhaps simplified in some areas.

For example, you'll find the Dragon Ladder, Tholm's Path, and Imperial Palace on the Arcane Lore and Mythology maps, but not shown with those names in the Guide. Tinsnip Mountain is referred to rather than Nida (in the Golden Age era), and Keetela has reverted to being Ganderland. Places like Mernita have crept in.

Is the Guide out of canon? No, it was just prepared from different scholarship at a different time. The God Time map is not the God Time territory; these are hypothetical reconstructions based on journeys in myth, not aerial overviews from Gloranthoogle satellites drifting across the Sky Dome.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

The mythic maps in Mythology are great and they do have some intriguing differences from the God Learner maps in the Guide.

16 hours ago, metcalph said:

The only change is that the Kachasti speakers are now the Magicians.

I spotted that, but was wondering if perhaps the Enrovalini are now the Magicians with the Kachasti the Philosophers.

Another difference I found is for the Early Lesser Darkness map, where the description of The Ten Thousand Wondrous Isles (print p.91, PDF p.95) combines that for the Wondrous Isles with part of the Tadeniti from p.686 of the Guide. Any idea why the source for The Ten Thousand Wondrous Isles is "IM"? 

9 hours ago, SMM said:

I spotted that, but was wondering if perhaps the Enrovalini are now the Magicians with the Kachasti the Philosophers.

The Kachasti still have a Speaking Tour p93 so I doubt it.

9 hours ago, SMM said:

Another difference I found is for the Early Lesser Darkness map, where the description of The Ten Thousand Wondrous Isles (print p.91, PDF p.95) combines that for the Wondrous Isles with part of the Tadeniti from p.686 of the Guide. Any idea why the source for The Ten Thousand Wondrous Isles is "IM"? 

The Ten Thousand Wondrous Isles actually goes back all the way to Avalon Hill's RQ3 Book 5 (p237 combined rulebook and is mentioned as another name for the Eastern Isles.  In Revealed Mythology there are the Wondrous Islands, Tadeniti and the Vaybeti Islands (Map p8 - collectively labelled as the SW Islands or perhaps the 800 Islands, which in turn becomes another island group in the pdf edition map)).  Given that the God Learners misinterpreted the Stela Corpora to place the Heron Hegemony there, I think a similar misunderstanding has occurred in the How the Islands were Made myth to illuminate some shadowy corner of Glorantha.  Given that an invasion of beakies is mentioned in Malkioni mythology, it may be New Keetela (Revealed Mythologies p79)