Lie to me!

Dear fellow Keepers

which skill do you use for your Investigators to lie convincingly ?

To spot a lie, my players roll Psychology rolls, and thus my NPCs (so far) get to roll that aswell to figure out if a player is being truthful.

But I would rather prefer a more active part for my players here (Fast Talk maybe ?) and (might be just my players) lying is something that happens quiet often at our tables 🤥

Regards

Mister Wonderful

I typically have then use persuade if they are trying to tell a convincing lie, as they are trying to persuade the other party that what they are saying is true.

Another possible skill would be Charm though for that you would probably need more then a few minutes to charm the person into believing the lie.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 11:01 AM, Mister Wonderful said:

which skill do you use for your Investigators to lie convincingly ?

According to CoC7e p.72 the Psychology roll is:

• "Regular difficulty: read someone’s intent or determine if the person is lying if their relevant skill (Intimidate, Fast Talk, Persuade, and Charm) is below 50%.
  • Hard difficulty: read someone’s intent or determine if the person is lying if their relevant skill (Intimidate, Fast Talk, Persuade, and Charm) is between 50% and 89%."

I personally just use Fast-Talk as a synonym for Deception (similar to how D&D separates Deception from Intimidate and Persuade - which my groups are more used to). I also allow Acting as a substitute.

Edited by mvincent
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you all  - the quote from Page 72 kind of clarifies that perfectly.

Looking at p.64 the entry under Fast Talk explicitly says : "Fast Talk is specifially limitied to verbal trickery, deception and misdirection".

There is also that paragraph in the Investigators Handbook p. 101:

• If the investigator is threatening violence or acting aggressively, the skill is Intimidate.
  • If the investigator is attempting to befriend or seduce, the skill is Charm.
  • If the investigator is using rational arguments and debate over a prolonged time, the skill is Persuade.
  • If the investigator is acting quickly to deceive, con, or trick, the skill is Fast Talk.

Thank you all for your help

Mister Wonderful

Edited by Mister Wonderful
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1