Question about a custom combat effect

Lloyd Dupont

I made a combat effect for my combat system, which I am currently tweaking.

It's called smite, and it adds a magic buff to attack's damage.

Initially I was thinking one had to pay the MP before the attack and then could smite if they got an effect. Now, after changing my mind, if one gets an effect, one can spend the MP and roll channel to add magic damage, or not.

Now I wonder... is that clunky to roll again? Maybe (and this is the player best deal, which I hesitant to adopt because it has no downside) one can chose the smite effect if they both roll under combat style and channel instead?

Any thoughts?

I would just let them use Bladesharp as a special effect for the scope of a single attack. If you really wanted to govern it, having them roll under a skill in addition to a combat style is a way to go, but I think just stepping up the damage is enough of an ambiguity.Β 

• Like 1

Once again Raleel to the rescue! πŸ™‚

I am using my whole custom power system, which has no bladesharp. Instead depending on one's magic affinity one has various [domain] smite available, such as life/divine smite, chaos smite, death smite, etc...

Anway, rolling again seems fine to you, so I'll roll with it! πŸ™‚
Depending on high the affinity, it can be quite deadly, but there are ways to mitigate it as well...