Lovecraftian audio drama

seneschal

Dunwich

A few years ago I got a collection of episodes of the old radio show Suspense, genuinely scary stuff. One of the episodes was an adaptation of The Dunwich Horror. Suspense is usually great, but the program's hour format just couldn't handle the nuances of Lovecraft's tale. It felt rushed and unsatisfying. Fast forward to last week, when I stumbled upon a four-part adaptation of the tale at the link above. Much better, since it had plenty of time to develop the situation and mood. Plus 19 Nocturne Boulevard has adaptations of a number of other Lovecraft tales, some of them straight, others modernized. Good stuff.

Episodes

Also, don't miss the B&B Detective Agency episodes. If you liked the movie Hoodwinked or the old Australian cartoon Fairy Tale Police Department, these radio shows are a hoot.

While the movies have failed Lovecraft, radio drama is his best friend (other than a certain long-lived game publishing company). ;D

Thirty-four views so far but no comments. If you got a chance to listen, what did you think?

Thanks for sharing!

I listend for the first episode and am partway through the second. While the production values and voice acting are not as slick as the HPLHS dradio drama of the same story, it does put the focus in different areas (on the personalities of the academics, for instance), which makes it interesting to listen to. I think there's also a bit more depth in this version, I guess because it's longer. And let's not overlook that it's free - a big plus!

One (minor) fault I find with both dramas is that they try too hard at times to invoke HPLs written style and that ends up sounding rather stilted in places when it's used in dialogue.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

• 1 month later...