Dwarven Enchantments

Chaot

I was thinking about the Southern Reaches and I took to a fancy. I want Dwarven Enchantments and I want an easy way to do it.

Dwarven Enchantment

This is an ability that all Dwarves instinctively have. When forging an item, a dwarf can imbue the item with any spell that the dwarf currently knows at a cost of 1 POW per 2 mp of spells. It is not necessary for the dwarf to be able to cast the spell themselves, but they must have learned the spell from a Dwarven Lore Master. Therefore, a dwarf can enchant items when their POW is under 16. A dwarf with a POW under 16 can not teach the spells that they know to another dwarf, neither can they cast the spells that they know. They can, however, enchant items with them.

When an item is created through a Dwarven Enchantment, the item now contains the spell(s) within them. Anyone who uses the item can access the spell(s) by expending the bearer's own magic points. These coveted items are sometimes exchanged with the lords of Drum in to cement alliances our in friendship.

Dwarven Lore Masters

These are dwarves who possess a POW of 16 or above and who have dedicated themselves to learning and teaching the arts of sorcery. They are valued members of the dwarven community as their knowledge in essential for dwarven enchanters. At the end of a Lore Master's life they will often attempt to create their life's work, an item of significant magical ability. These masterpieces are treasured by dwarven society.

Side Note: I'm thinking if I run a game in the Southern Reaches I'll waive the POW 16 requirements for the elves so that all elves can cast spells. Intelligence limits for sorcery still stand for both elves and dwarves.

70/420

Here's my thinking on it. None of which is playtested obviously, but it is based on past experience.

I don't see sorcery spells as being too much of a game changer. There are spells that will give the player an edge or cause the recipient a really bad time, but I don't think magic really gets scary until demons are involved. Also, if you limit it to POW 16+ then I think you'll find players gathering spells and then making one big, loaded item. Also also, I'm taken with the idea of dwarves and elves being inherently magical.

Throfig Grindgristle has a POW of 15. His player decided she wants to Grindgristle to enchant rather than cast spells. She also wants Throfig to be an absolute terror on the battlefield. Instead of taking three spells at char gen, she takes two. Sorcerer's Hammer (1-4) and Sorcerer's Armor (1-4). She has Grindgristle enchant his weapons. Now Grind Gristle has a POW of 11 and a Warhammer that lets him cast Sorcerer's Hammer and Sorcerer's Armor. Now, when Throfig goes into battle he casts his spells before hand. If he casts them at full strength, he is left with 3 mp. The spells will last for 11 combat rounds, which is decent for a fight but not so much for a full day of adventuring. Also, Throfig is vulnerable to POW : POW spells as well as MP : MP spells. Throfig can make additional items, say for a fellow adventurer who wants a bit of extra protection, but enchanting an amulet with Sorcerer's Armor is going to drop Throfig's POW down to 9.

Let's say Throfig's player wants Grindgristle to have a range of spell effects. At cha gen she picks Heal (2), Sleep (1) and Bird's Vision (1). Enchanting drops Throfig's POW from a 15 to a 13, which is still very respectable. Sleep is a POW : CON spell so Throfig has a decent chance of pulling it off, depending on circumstances. Heal keeps the party alive, Bird's Vision gathers information, all of these spells can be used throughout the adventure day. I see this as a net good for the adventuring party without being overpowering.

Having the enchantment cost be 1 POW to 2 MP is pretty limiting, I think. Especially if the player wants to be able to make use of the item.

Plus, as the PCs adventure, they may come across an item or two like this. I'm a sucker for magic items.

70/420