Generic Magic

rogerd

This is a rough draft for what I had in my head.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B36VOstakubjV1Bma2pNMTRISEE/edit?usp=sharing

It should allow magic users to not only have singular spells, but area's of knowledge too and cast reflexive magic as needed, although the cost is quite high as a result to prevent them overpowering the game - which is not desirable unless you want a really high powered game. Also working on some traits so that characters can bullet-time and stuff.

EDIT: Not had chance to play test this yet, as I have no group currently, so if anyone wants to take these rules out for spin and report back to me any modifications, I'd be appreciative.

I dig it! Your fields of magic section made me think of something, and I had to eventually pull out an old hard drive to find the darn thing. It would have been bothering me all day. But find it I did.

If your interested, head over to PRIMEA and take a look at their magic types break downs. It's has a handy list of magical disciplines that you can riff on. I've wanted to combine it with the Maelstrom magic system in the past, to give it more distinct flavor.

70/420

I dig it! Your fields of magic section made me think of something, and I had to eventually pull out an old hard drive to find the darn thing. It would have been bothering me all day. But find it I did.

If your interested, head over to PRIMEA and take a look at their magic types break downs. It's has a handy list of magical disciplines that you can riff on. I've wanted to combine it with the Maelstrom magic system in the past, to give it more distinct flavor.

That's kinda cool. Any improvements or pitfalls in my ideas?

One sphere of learning will be transformation which is split into two fields, transfiguration and biomancy (changing the DNA of a target).

Basically my idea is to avoid the shenanigans from a Delta Green book where an NPC had fifty spells, but more than that the players will actually be immortals that became the Gods of Earth (the Other Gods don't protect them here though) and they have to fight off various gribblies. It is also why I am bringing in traits, as the PC's have to buy magic, psychic, or bioenergy in order to have any powers at all. Without them they'd be more combat focused and learn RQ Heroic Abilities and science - possessing things like Hard-Light armour and other stuff (think Flint from Star Trek).