What's up with Chaosiums site?

Owl

I wanted to check in if there was any news on BRP (actually so that I could get a link to any news for a post on a forum where I tried to convince a bunch of lads to use it for their coming campaign) but found that I get redirected to the catalog, which doesn't mention the BRP other than zero edition? No blog, no news updates, nothing? What's up?

Their site was hacked a week and a half ago.

They've been trying to get it up and running, but they're a smallish operation and are in the middle of a few other things, like trying to get BRP out the door, some Call of Cthulhu stuff, etc.

Plus, the GAMA Trade Show was last week, so they were out of town at that (at least, I'm pretty sure they were there).

Guest the Bromgrev

Just a thought - perhaps Chaosium should have some kind of blog or second-tier news site, so that when this happens fans are not left in the dark. I would say that getting the website back up should take priority over pretty much everything else at the moment.

Yes, I'm getting twitchy for my copy of DBRP ... :shocked:

It IS back up! Hurrah! :happy:

Well, you get a tedious message and have to click on the "do-what-I-just-told-you-to-do-and-shut-up-you-stupid-machine" option once or twice, but we're used to that aren't we? ;)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

What else should there be?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I didn't realize. :o

Fix that pesky security certificate though, and who's to know? It looks good enough for now...

Woot!

That's cool - back up and running with good news and character sheet! The site actually seems a fair bit faster, too. Must've been quite a crunch it took.

And BRP is at the printer!

*solo mexican wave*

:thumb:

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

a) the official new BRP character sheet is now downloadable.

The "DEAD (-___)" part above the hitpoints seems to suggest dying at a certain number of negative HP, like in D&D or GURPS. Is that the case?

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

The "DEAD (-___)" part above the hitpoints seems to suggest dying at a certain number of negative HP, like in D&D or GURPS. Is that the case?

Not exactly.

BRP 0 defines a condition "Fatal Wound" - where the character receives an injury that does them more hit points damage than they currently have hit points"

Fatal wounds obviously lead to death, though they may be averted with the successful application of immediate medical assistance. If you fatally-wounded character receives medical attention (through First Aid, Medicine, a power, an item, or some other means of hit point restoration) in th eround he or she recieved the fatal wound or the round immediately after, and his or her hit points are brought up to 1 or more, your character has almost died, but will survive that particular injury.

So, in theory, a character could go to -157 hit points, and if some how a companion character could administer 158 points of healing in the round on which the fatal wound occurred and the immediately following round, the character would survive - which, given eth necessary power level of any campaign in which 158 points of healing over two rounds is even possible, doesn't seem unreasonable.

In a "normal" level campaign with First Aid, a character5 might make it back from going as far as -5, but it's not likely, and any more severe is irretrievable.

I've used variants of the D&D "dying rule", where a fatally wounded character loses a further hit point per round until -CON, at which point they are beyond treatment - it depends on the genre and setting.

Cheers,

Nick

Thank you. That's essentially the same as the rule in CoC or SB5, as might be expected. I do wonder what the "(-___)" bit is then for.

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

I've used variants of the D&D "dying rule", where a fatally wounded character loses a further hit point per round until -CON, at which point they are beyond treatment - it depends on the genre and setting.

And I use it all the time. Coupled with reduced HPs, it makes a neat "Major Wound" level at 0hp. Scares the players wonderfully, too!

(Trad. fantasy genre, btw).

I do wonder what the "(-___)" bit is then for.

Trying to tempt me into using it, I guess. ;) But no, having all possible hp/pp/etc numbers is just too silly...

I do wonder what the "(-___)" bit is then for.
As noted, if you need to note the amount of HP below 0 for the short period of time a character can be below 0 HP and be viable, then it's there for that.

I think it also might have ramifications for some powers (like regeneration), but don't have my book handy and can't recall which.