There's no reason for any type of blasting on this expedition.  Robert Blaine would not allow it.  I can see a PC sneaking a stick or two, but why?  Is he already insane or what? Maybe deduct 1d6 SAN per stick he brings because there is no sane reason to do so.  But do know that there is a possibility that the General Store in Cobb's Corners will carry dynamite. 

Not only is there no reason to take dynamite on the field trip, neither Robert Blaine or either of the professors involved would allow it. Certainly Professor Learmont woud d say no as I would expect that handling demolitions would at least be supervised by teaching staff, even if demolitions is taught at Miskatonic University. There is also the possibility that you might need a permit and whilst Professor Learmont might be able to get one, I doubt that any student could.

Edited by pookie
  • Like 1

In my game there was dynamite in the general store in Cobb's Corners. One PC even bought two (how do you call them) sticks. I allowed it, especially if they were gonna fight the moon beast with no weapons at all (only wooden sticks and rocks... oh come on). I even let them by a revoler, assuming that the trader (can't remember his name) just wanted to earn some money on passing by students.
There is no harm in a revoler and some dynamite, right? :)))

Thats a key thing to remember - Blaine isn't going to allow the PCs to do anything to jeopardize his deal. In my game, the PCs wanted to take a rifle they bought at the general store with them while collecting folklore. Blaine forbade it, stating that it would cause the locals to not trust them and made them leave it at the house. When they came back for it after the Mi-Go got everyone, the gun was surprisingly missing...

9 hours ago, Baniak said:

In my game there was dynamite in the general store in Cobb's Corners. One PC even bought two (how do you call them) sticks. I allowed it, especially if they were gonna fight the moon beast with no weapons at all (only wooden sticks and rocks... oh come on). I even let them by a revoler, assuming that the trader (can't remember his name) just wanted to earn some money on passing by students.
There is no harm in a revoler and some dynamite, right? :)))

Way back when, dynamite was used to remove tree stumps.  So, there are legit reasons for having dynamite in the general store.  Now, being able to light one and throw it and it blowing up at the right time is a totally separate matter as I assume none of the students are experts in fuses or throwing lit sticks at moving targets.  I can see a student throwing one and the creature just runs past the stick and it blowing up harmlessly somewhere.