Length of indefinite insanity

Destrin

I'm slightly confused by the process around indefinite insanity and would be keen to hear how other keepers handle it.

Relevant rules extracts:

Insanity phase 2: Underlying Insanity: "Is mental fragility remains for the full duration of the insanity—1D10 hours in the case of temporary insanity—and probably
for the duration of the scenario or chapter of the campaign in the case of indefinite insanity.
Recovery from indefinite insanity: "After each month of treatment of an indefinitely insanecharacter, safe from further trauma, the player makes a dice roll....Alternatively, at the Keeper’s discretion, indefinite insanity lasts until the next Investigator Development Phase at the end of the present game chapter (in a campaign) or scenario."

The latter rules section very much implies that indefinite insanity should last a period of months, not merely to the end of the current scenario, this seems highly punitive on players with a low sanity given the rule that whilst you are suffering from indefinite insanity the loss of even a single point will cause another bout of madness.  Do other keepers keep this hanging around for that long or is it typical that you always have the indefinite insanity expire at the end of a scenario?  I think I'm most worried about having one player sidelined, too afraid to take part in the adventure for fear that if they see anything untoward and lose a single point they are going to be useful for 1D10 rounds.

On a related point, there are three subheadings for side effects: Phobias/manias, delusions and Cthulhu Mythos.  The mythos rules make sense, as do the delusions (assuming I understand it correctly that whilst suffering underlying insanity the keeper is free to provide delusion views of reality to the investigator.  But the phobias/manias aren't explained enough for my thoughts, is the intent that you always add one or is it just included here for those times when you feel like a phobia/mania would suit the type of madness?

Thanks for any thoughts/input

Re. Indefinite Insanity - having suffered the initial Bout of Madness, the investigator is prone to further bouts while indefinitely insane (loss of a point induces another Bout of Madness). 

I, usually at the close of the scenario or at a suitable break point in a campaign, encourage the indefinitely insane investigator to seek treatment or undergo "Self Help" - using their backstory connections to attempt to recover (in a campaign, depending on the style of game I'm running in this instance, I tend to have the recovery as automatic and adjust the appropriate backstory accordingly. Otherwise, I have the player make their Self Help roll and go from there). 

Re. Phobias/Manias - yes, these are essentially optional for the Keeper - if the situation of the insanity warrants it, then pick a phobia or mania for the investigator. It's your call as the Keeper. In some situations, the cause of the insanity will inspire an associated phobia or mania; in other situations it may not be so clear and you may decide to not give the investigator a phobia or mania. 

Thanks for the quick reply, so my concern is still slightly that if that indefinite insanity triggers early (seems likely for a low SAN investigator and happened in my current game) then is that investigator not at serious risk for the remainder of that scenario and likely to not want to partake in anything remotely risky for fear of suffering a bout for the slightest roll?  Or is this a non-issue and players should roll with the enjoyment that comes from losing control?

Unfortunately, the problem is best avoided before a player ends up losing 20% of their sanity in a day. If the players didn't back off after a bunch of shocks, I'd probably push them to take a night of R&R and possibly even adjust the scenario.

Late in a scenario, having someone lose it may very well be worth it for the narrative effect, but if someone is that fragile really early in the investigation, it may be time for them to retire to the laughing academy in favor of another character. No player is going to want to, week after week, effectively play half a scenario and then end up incapacitated. Also, no characters in "real life" would keep dragging them along on the investigation if they were that fragile.

Comes down to the game/scenario/what you are trying to achieve. Part of the deal with Call of Cthulhu is fragility of the mind as well as the body. Beyond a bout of madness, during periods of underlying insanity, the PC is in the control of the player - this allows you to use delusions. Make the most of it.