Skills by social class

fulk

Does anyone alter the starting skills for background (civilized, barbarian etc) by social class? 

For example, skills like Ride and Literacy are not currently available to a Gentry social class character who follows a Warrior profession (except as a hobby skill).  However, a late medieval/renaissance gentry character would likely be well able to ride (as a knight) and read. One could replace Drive with Ride and let Literacy be taken as a Lore skill or allow Literacy to replace conceal.  Some such substitutions would likely be period dependent, but one might also rule that Gentry in a late renaissance society automatically know how to read their own language.  I wouldn't, for example, make people pay for literacy in a modern campaign world (I think it mentions this in the rules, but I could be mixing up RQ6/Mthras with some other BRP variant).

Yes.

I'd probably use a variation of the Background, allowing different Backgrounds for different classes, if the players wanted to come from a particular class.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here