Magic: Summon Elemental

Nightshade

One of the ways you could use spell level for the Magic spell "Conjure Elemental" is to affect the "magnitude" of the elemental. Defining "magnitude" would be a setting specific thing; for example, the old RQ3 elementals had magnitude determined by how many D6 they had in SIZ, POW, STR (IIRC), so a level 3 Conjure Elemental would conjure one with 3D6 in each. The ones given in the BRP book are indicated to be "average" elementals - extrapolating wildly, I'd call them level 5 elementals, with that "5" indicating their attack skill (level x 10%) and the number of D6 divided between their SIZ and POW (2D6 SIZ, 3D6 POW). Higher or lower levels would give you more or less pro rata. That's just an off-the-cuff extrapolation however - depending on your game, you might want to be more precise, or you might be happy with that. :)

Personally I'm using the Sorcery rules for all types of Summonings. I'm also using the Binding rules for both Elementals and Demons, and putting in a lot more flexibility than the "summonings costs 9PP" base cost. It all depends how much detail you want.

Just IMHO of course. Hope it helps! :D

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

So what do the spell ranks do here? Jason? Playtesters? Anybody?

Summon:Elemental is a Sorcery spell and has no spell ranks IIRC.

Conjure: Elemental is a Magic spell, and does have spell ranks - it also has a range and a duration, so I'd let the caster use additional ranks to boost either, on rank adding either another block of range (12m IIRC) or duration (10 combat rounds).

Iff I was going to have different sizes of elemental, I'd also look at having larger / more powerful elementals requiring a higher rank spell to call them.

Cheers,

Nick

Summon:Elemental is a Sorcery spell and has no spell ranks IIRC.

Conjure: Elemental is a Magic spell, and does have spell ranks - it also has a

That was actually the one I was refering to; the old WoW version was designed to work with elementals of various size, but it appears both of the above are designed to work with the standardized elementals so that seemed a non-starter.

range and a duration, so I'd let the caster use additional ranks to boost either, on rank adding either another block of range (12m IIRC) or duration (10 combat rounds).

Iff I was going to have different sizes of elemental, I'd also look at having larger / more powerful elementals requiring a higher rank spell to call them.

Cheers,

Nick

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the intended additional rank usage was; the above are certainly possibilities (though I wonder in most cases if they're worth bothering to do) but there's no indication what you're supposed to be doing with them.

• Like 1