Shields

kaddawang

Err..no. It would force the one weapon guy to go on the defensive and hold off his attack until the next Strike/DEX-rank. Something that could be painful if it was a grand melee with several attackers.

Fighting several at once is the short road to the boneyard. However, remember that if the long weapon user wishes, he or she can attempt a normal weapon skill roll to keep one or more of the short weapon attackers from getting close enough to hit. There is also the Sweeping Attack option (if they have the right kind of weapon) found on p.233. Of course, if that isn't desirable then there are other choices depending on the rule options you make available as the GM. Beware that multiple characters can Grapple you (p.61). Their combined STR rating can ruin your day.

My interpretation of fighting with Two Weapons (p.234, bullet point #3) is that nobody is ever fighting with only one weapon. That's a choice. Unless they look like this poor fellow. The main counter to somebody bringing in two weapons is fighting back with two weapons*. The problem is, the tendency is to see fighting with two weapons in a very flat "I attack you, you parry, you attack me, and what Strike Rank are we on again?" sequence. What do you want to do to your opponent? You want to defeat him. If his Sword is 110% and yours is 50%, you better have a better plan. Consider the following:

If there is a shield to slam with, a torch to burn with, a hand to punch/grapple (maybe Disarm per page.221), a foot/boot to stomp/kick/trip with, or if close enough, a head to butt with, then you do not suffer a penalty to hit, but are still subject to attacking 5 DEX ranks after the initial attack. Many of the Renaissance fighting manuals are quite specific about using stomps, clothing grabs, trips, and disarms in close combat. See this one for a discussion on the topic.

Maybe it's time to put a few points in Grapple? If you survive entry and succeed in Grapple, you've destroyed their ability to use that otherwise terrifying 110% Sword and 55% Dagger skill and force him to defend against your 85% Grapple, which shuts down his entire game.

How? You open the option to Disarm (p.221) or the myriad options of Grapple (p.61). Remember that if the defender parries your grab with a weapon or shield, your character automatically holds fast (check each round per p.61). If you like, if the character has a background in a martial art like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRS5J-lhXq4, they can kick from the Grapple. Maybe you feel like throwing today? If you successfully trip/throw him, he is Prone (p.229) and all subsequent hand-to-hand or close-range missile attacks are Easy. All of the downed subject's attacks and parries become Difficult. In golf parlance, it's time to tee off.

Then again, if he's a two-weapon wielding giant, I refer you to the Chases, On Foot section, found on p.215 ...

*This does raise the issue of off-handedness, but the player and the GM need to work that out beforehand. Maybe Prof. Walthers' background is in sport fencing, for example? Then he hits the Difficult setting for that off-hand.

Edited by FunGuyFromYuggoth

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Fighting several at once is the short road to the boneyard. However, remember that if the long weapon user wishes, he or she can attempt a normal weapon skill roll to keep one or more of the short weapon attackers from getting close enough to hit. There is also the Sweeping Attack option (if they have the right kind of weapon) found on p.233. Of course, if that isn't desirable then there are other choices depending on the rule options you make available as the GM. Beware that multiple characters can Grapple you (p.61). Their combined STR rating can ruin your day.

My interpretation of fighting with Two Weapons (p.234, bullet point #3) is that nobody is ever fighting with only one weapon. That's a choice. Unless they look like this poor fellow. The main counter to somebody bringing in two weapons is fighting back with two weapons*. The problem is, the tendency is to see fighting with two weapons in a very flat "I attack you, you parry, you attack me, and what Strike Rank are we on again?" sequence. What do you want to do to your opponent? You want to defeat him. If his Sword is 110% and yours is 50%, you better have a better plan. Consider the following:

If there is a shield to slam with, a torch to burn with, a hand to punch/grapple (maybe Disarm per page.221), a foot/boot to stomp/kick/trip with, or if close enough, a head to butt with, then you do not suffer a penalty to hit, but are still subject to attacking 5 DEX ranks after the initial attack. Many of the Renaissance fighting manuals are quite specific about using stomps, clothing grabs, trips, and disarms in close combat. See this one for a discussion on the topic.

Maybe it's time to put a few points in Grapple? If you survive entry and succeed in Grapple, you've destroyed their ability to use that otherwise terrifying 110% Sword and 55% Dagger skill and force him to defend against your 85% Grapple, which shuts down his entire game.

How? You open the option to Disarm (p.221) or the myriad options of Grapple (p.61). Remember that if the defender parries your grab with a weapon or shield, your character automatically holds fast (check each round per p.61). If you like, if the character has a background in a martial art like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRS5J-lhXq4, they can kick from the Grapple. Maybe you feel like throwing today? If you successfully trip/throw him, he is Prone (p.229) and all subsequent hand-to-hand or close-range missile attacks are Easy. All of the downed subject's attacks and parries become Difficult. In golf parlance, it's time to tee off.

Then again, if he's a two-weapon wielding giant, I refer you to the Chases, On Foot section, found on p.215 ...

*This does raise the issue of off-handedness, but the player and the GM need to work that out beforehand. Maybe Prof. Walthers' background is in sport fencing, for example? Then he hits the Difficult setting for that off-hand.

Actually, this is quite a nice solution.

I find this to be a fine example of the GM looking at a situation, integrating character elements, and using his judgment to explore alternate possibilities the system offers.

Were I to handle such a situation, I would remind players of their multitude of options, which is essentially anything you, as a person, can do or think of, except with your character's background.

I don't know if I could put it into words, much less succinctly, in any other form than: See how things develop and call it as you see it.

I really agree with the Two Weapons view. If you have a hand open, you have a fist. If you have a leg unencumbered, you have a kick. Fight with your body, and get dirty about it. No penalties, cuz... it's your body.

Very nice.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft