A Time to Harvest and the QSR

So I joined the Cult but really so I would be in a position to officially run RuneQuest and, hopefully, HeroQuest sessions.

The confirmation email I got had some links to the A Time to Harvest campaign materials and so I grabbed the first one and started reading it to see what it was like.

Despite not being a CoC fan I was really quite impressed with the scenario and I am now thinking of running the campaign at my FLGS. Not having the full current rules (I have the QRS) would I be able to run the campaign (or at least start it) with the material in the QRS or will it require the full rules?

You can probably run things with the quick start rules (but you will need to hand wave / make up stuff sometimes, as the QSR are bare bones). My advice is, if you like what what you have seen so far, get the rulebook, which gives you everything you need to play.

23 hours ago, Mike M said:

You can probably run things with the quick start rules (but you will need to hand wave / make up stuff sometimes, as the QSR are bare bones). My advice is, if you like what what you have seen so far, get the rulebook, which gives you everything you need to play.

That is sort of where I am going. I am going to run the Free RPG module from last year and then make a decision

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, I ran the first three sessions of ATtH with a printout of the QSR because I was waiting for the physical book (digital are great for quick text queries, but bad for me to read and learn a system it turns out).

I could have run the rest of the campaign with just the QSR, but it requires making some judgement calls.  I play a more narrative than numbers game in a lot of ways, which means being a little loose with the rules generally can be worked in.

That being said, every time I prep for a demo game and review the rules, I almost always learn something new.  Like I was totally misunderstanding some of the sanity rules (basically, I was being too nice... not that it helped when someone with 65 sanity lost 68 in one go...) and it took me a number of games to get truly comfortable running combat.  So starting with a really strong understanding of the QSR and then growing your understanding with the full rules isn't necessarily a bad thing, it means you have a grasp on the basics and the scenario gives you the structure to tell the story.