Is there Gravity in Glorantha?

Steve

2 hours ago, narsilion said:

The one thing she cannot stand is fire … both the hated fire and its offspring, smoke, are repelled by her.

• Hot … air … balloons!
  • Then some bright spark will say that the flame is still “attached” to the burner, so the flame will lift the basket without that cumbersome bag of air above (and for once I don’t mean Him).
  • There will be a fad for levitating bonfires.
  • Self-immolating fire cultists — human torches — will dogfight with woad-painted blue meanies. (Johnny Storm’s loyalties may be divided.)
  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

34 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

Thoughts:

• Another name for the Waiting Mouth, the Hungry One, the Devouring Mother?
  • If so, those staunch Chaos fighters are fighting to destroy gravity (or its analogue). They shouldn’t say so in their publicity material. Well, those crazy Orlanthi fliers might, but they like sucking their food out of the nozzle of a pouch — I guess — and have made arrangements with the dwarfs..
  • If not, turf war with Krarsht?
  • Perhaps it is not that the Mother of Gravitons wants to devour us all, perhaps it is just that all of creation wishes the oblivion of the Void and so is stampeding toward the plughole at Glorantha’s base. But the sun and the moon have already known that oblivion — they have been blown out and returned and are now addicted to the cycle.

TBH, we named her The Blasshole 😆 But i doubt it fits gloranthan seting...

And she would be connected to stasis rather than to chaos (in my opinion). Or any similar rune, actually non-existent, as it was devoured.

It would be better to treat her as some kind of ancestor to Krarsht, as Krarsht is actually well adressed in lore. So - turf war i think.

But what kind of worshippers can she have? I think most cats are her secret followers. They honor her by pushing objects off the tables 😄 I also imagine cults offering her bloody sacrifices in the form of throwing someone off a high cliff - or into a deep hole/well.

• Like 1

jar-eel_crimson_bat.png

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:
  • Perhaps it is not that the Mother of Gravitons wants to devour us all...

Not devour, embrace. The crushing, smothering love of an overbearing parent.

Chaos loves you. That's why it gives you gifts so readily. Now be grateful and say thankyou for the extra tentacles...

• Like 1

The Uleria cult at least ascribes it to the natural attractant force of love. From the Earth Goddesses book's Uleria writeup:

"When leaves fall to the ground, or anything at all falls to earth, that is because the Earth Mother’s Love pulls us there."

I've thought we can also look at it from the opposite viewpoint; that it's death pulling us to the Underworld and our final resting place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MagikarpHunter said:

that is because the Earth Mother’s Love pulls us there.

"too much love will kill you" - famous last words of an adventurer falling from the roof

Edited by narsilion
  • Haha 1

jar-eel_crimson_bat.png

1 hour ago, MagikarpHunter said:

“When leaves fall to the ground … that is because the Earth Mother’s Love pulls us there.”

Dead leaves fall — “Les Feuilles mortes” — she is not interested in the green ones. Necrophilia inscribed in Glorantha’s natural laws. Jacques Prévert was really Jacques Pervert.

The Earth Mother was just being coy with Nontraya/Vivamort.

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST