Sourcebook Map

Andy C

Just picked up the sourcebook on pdf and am very impressed!  I was just slightly puzzled at the lack of a large scale map of either the world as a whole or Genertela in particular. Are readers expected to know where the places mentioned in the first chapter (and later) are located or is there something I've missed pointing them to the atlas? Or is it not thought to be important? I know the introduction mentions that this book isn't a gazetteer but it does have plenty of other maps. 

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

Just picked up the sourcebook on pdf and am very impressed!  I was just slightly puzzled at the lack of a large scale map of either the world as a whole or Genertela in particular. Are readers expected to know where the places mentioned in the first chapter (and later) are located or is there something I've missed pointing them to the atlas? Or is it not thought to be important? I know the introduction mentions that this book isn't a gazetteer but it does have plenty of other maps. 

There's a full Cosmos map on page 2 (page 7 of the PDF) but the continents aren't labelled. Will add this as a comment to the other thread.

Perhaps a caption reading something like: The Cosmos of Glorantha. The world of mortals lies upon the "lozenge" of Earth, with the continent of Genertela to the north, bordered by the ice of Valind's Glacier, and the continent of Pamaltela to the south, bordered by the fiery desert. At the center, Magasta's Pool is a monstrous whirlpool draining into the Underworld.

Edited by M Helsdon

Yes, the cosmos map is wonderful but doesn't really cover it, even with an explanatory caption. I guess it depends on what the target audience for the book is supposed to be. If it's intended to be the introductory point to Glorantha as a game setting then the omission of an overview  map seems a bit odd. If I bought a book about a setting I didn't know I would be puzzled if the places discussed in the geography chapter weren't shown on a map within the book. 

Edited by Andy C

2 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Yes, the cosmos map is wonderful but doesn't really cover it, even with an explanatory caption. I guess it depends on what the target audience for the book is supposed to be. If it's intended to be the introductory point to Glorantha as a game setting then the omission of an overview  map seems a bit odd. If I bought a book about a setting I didn't know I would be puzzled if the places discussed in the geography chapter weren't shown on a map within the book. 

A valid comment, which I advise you to make on the Tribal Edit Thread for Glorantha Sourcebook thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1