Humakt, resurrection and geases

PhilHibbs

Breaking out into separate thread.

I think I agree entirely with my brother. There are general standards of behaviour with every cult that all serious members are supposed to aspire to. Humakt and Yelmalio are even more strict about these things, to the extent that they actually have magically enforced geases for some of them!

Any return from death has always been a strict no-no, which is why the town of Neverdead is such a shocking abomination.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Joerg posted this in a thread here a few years ago:

Those Humakti and Yelmalian obligations/restrictions are pretty much a form of failed mysticism - reaching a certain state of consciousness and then reaping the reward, without any further advancement, except through further advancement in the cult hierarchy going hand in hand with a second, and deeper, iniitiatory experience. A true mystic wouldn't claim their reward but go on to master another of the restrictions.

Both Humakt and Yelmalio are about intimate contact with Death, Humakt becoming it, Yelmalio avoiding it. Either way, this is quite close to a severe austerity as practiced by the Kralori (as has been told about Sheng Seleris' rise to mystic power).

As I said there, Joerg nailed it.

Edited by simonh
  • Like 2

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!