Upgraded to the new Masks, cannot find the date of an execution

Yuven

So there will be spoilers from the Masks of Nyarlathothep in this thread, you have been warned!

So I was running the Old Masks of Nyarlathothep for some friends of mine, and we were only two sessions in when the new edition dropped. (great timing I know!) So they are about to stake out the Ju-Ju house. I just got the new book mainly to get better art and portraits to show the players, but I noticed there was more parts to the NY chapter, so I wanted to incorporate it to my adventure without forcing it in. While I was reading about the 'innocent man' I began wondering when he will be executed. This is a questing I am sure the players will be asking. I am sure I can just make up the date without affecting the adevnture, but am I blind for not finding it, and if not, isn't this quite a major oversight?

Thank you for your time!

Keeper note on page 154?  "Keeper note: depending on when the investigators get round to tackling Ju-Ju House, the dark of the moon falls on January 24 and 25, 1925, meaning they may or may not get to interrupt a rite in progress."

The "Rites of the Bloody Tongue at Ju-Ju House" section on page 159 specifies that two sacrifices are needed for each monthly ritual. 

So, this assumes that you follow the precise timeline at the start of Masks.  But, if you don't, you could do whatever you want.  There is no rule that says that the ritual night couldn't be "whenever the Investigator's decide to go there."

Edited by klecser

It's less about a precise date and more about what has the narrative potential to free him: 

Page 160:

"Depending on what evidence the investigators manage to get their hands on, they may be able to convince either Robson or Poole to conduct a raid on Ju-Ju House on a ritual night, if the timing is right. Depending on what they have on Robson, he may tip off M’Dari before the fact. If he
does, M’Dari clears out everything essential, then sets fire to the shop to destroy any remaining evidence, including the chakota (after all, he can create another one if needs must). The resulting conflagration is potentially disastrous for the residents of the surrounding tenements, if not caught quickly. At this point, any chance of exonerating Hilton Adams is lost; however if Lt. Poole is brought in, an assault may be mounted which potentially nets the cult and its ringleader (dead or alive), as well as providing enough evidence to free Hilton Adams and take down Captain Robson."

As a player, I'd be pretty demoralized to bring down the Ju-Ju cult or even the corrupt cop and then have him executed anyway because of a date.  Just my opinion.  "You went to great links to get this awesome evidence.  But it was too late."  Ouch.

Edited by klecser
  • Thanks 1

The real answer to that question is that people are on death row for years/decades in the US. It would not be out of line for you to tell them: "You don't know" because it is very likely there wouldn't be a date set for a long time after he was convicted.  Cops incorrectly jailing him doesn't prevent his lawyer from filing continuances and motions.

Edited by klecser
  • Thanks 1

This is a good example of how there are really two cultures that represent the bulk of writers for Call of Cthulhu: British and American. And while they have a lot in common there are also a lot of differences.  I don't know who precisely wrote that passage in the old or new version.  But it is something that someone with the Law (US) skill specialization might interpret differently!  Scritch Scratch is another example: there were assumptions that need to be made about pub lingo and ownership in Scritch Scratch that are obvious to UK players but were a bit confusing to American players because we don't know pub culture as well.

No matter what, its fun to learn these nuances and I'm glad CoC has an international writing bullpen!

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1