Stunning and Crushing Blows

frogspawner

"A target suffering a crushing special success" may be stunned, the BRP rule says.

Should this apply if the target successfully parries, or if the parrying weapon gets shattered outright, or if the parrying weapon doesn't shatter but still breaks due to HP loss, or only if residual damage gets through armour, or even if no damage gets through at all (perhaps due to concussion effect) ?

The odd wording seems to imply the latter, but I'd welcome other opinions.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I think the target has to receive at least 1 point of damage from it in order to be affected...
Good call!

Off the top of my head, I think that all of the extra effects from special successes assume that at least 1 point of damage is done.

Hmm. Thanks - yes, you kindly gave a similar clarification to a question I had about Bleeding specials a while ago. Trouble is, it doesn't seem to work so well in this case - aren't Crushing weapons supposed to be good at affecting their target despite armour?

A Stun-effect which works regardless of armour would be quite a clever mechanism for that. Of course, if it did work that way, on top of all their other effects Crush specials would be very nasty!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

OK, having thought, I find I like the cunning 'stun-through-armour' effect too much to use the official interpretation of requiring damage to be done. But using that in addition to the other effects (extra damage, weapon-shattering) would make Crush specials too powerful - so they have to go (mostly).

So, for me, it'll be:

Crush specials do 1 damage to Parrying Item (or Armour, if not parried) and also require the CONx5 v Stun, whether any damage gets through or not...

So, for me, it'll be:

Crush specials do 1 damage to Parrying Item (or Armour, if not parried) and also require the CONx5 v Stun, whether any damage gets through or not...

I'm prepping a conversion from homegrown/RQIII to BRP. I'm thinking about Raw Damage (pre armor absorption) vs. CON for Stun.

That means that a Crush special from a giant is definitely going to knock you out, but a Crush Special from a thrown rock is much less likely.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I'm prepping a conversion from homegrown/RQIII to BRP. I'm thinking about Raw Damage (pre armor absorption) vs. CON for Stun.

That means that a Crush special from a giant is definitely going to knock you out, but a Crush Special from a thrown rock is much less likely.

Doh! And here was me trying to stick close to the RAW, but that sounds so good...

Yeah, I too told my players that I'd use the RAW. It's just really hard to stay away from tweaking the rules...

Of course, there is a middle way: Use the CONx5% roll, but modify it by 5% per damage point. :D

That way, you're using the CONx5% from the RAW, but taking into effect the damage done...the fact that it's mathematically the same as a resistance role will just be our little secret. ;)

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!