Care and Feeding of Sorcerers

Narl

I have a Lhankor Mhy Scribe in my Apple Lane game who started with a few of the Sorcery spells the cult offers. I know this sorcerer would like to go beyond the spells offered in the Torvald Fragments.

As GM should I have them finding or obtaining books or scrolls on occasion to provide new spells? Does that fit with Gloranthan lore? Are there other ways, or more appropriate ways, I should be thinking about so this adventurer and diversify their spell selection a bit?

Thanks for any advice!

129/420

Personally I would make this part of the game.  If he wants to find folk who will teach him then he needs to go out and find those people.  If he wants to go off-piste then he needs to go looking in places where there may be fragments of lore that he needs.

This would be an excellent case for going to the Big Rubble or other ruins/ancient temples that may have suitable sorcery for a Lhankor Mhy sage to pursue.  Obviously if it was readily available then he would be able to go to a local temple and ask about it.  

The next issue will be that, once he has found this lore, does he share it with his temple (of course I hear folk cry) or keep it as a "personal research project and all will be revealed when the thesis (grimoire) is completed"??  Will he risk being illuminated?  Will other sorecry related types learn of his discoveries and seek to claim them for themselves (their cults).

I reckon I could come up with a whole campaign around this desire...

Stephen

PS: it could almost be CoC-like.  The sage seeking forgotten and possibly forbidden knowledge with the potential for unleashing chaos or god-learnerism all over again....

Edited by StephenMcG
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Narl said:

2 hours ago, StephenMcG said:

Personally I would make this part of the game.  If he wants to find folk who will teach him then he needs to go out and find those people.  If he wants to go off-piste then he needs to go looking in places where there may be fragments of lore that he needs.

This would be an excellent case for going to the Big Rubble or other ruins/ancient temples that may have suitable sorcery for a Lhankor Mhy sage to pursue.  Obviously if it was readily available then he would be able to go to a local temple and ask about it.  

The next issue will be that, once he has found this lore, does he share it with his temple (of course I hear folk cry) or keep it as a "personal research project and all will be revealed when the thesis (grimoire) is completed"??  Will he risk being illuminated?  Will other sorecry related types learn of his discoveries and seek to claim them for themselves (their cults).

I reckon I could come up with a whole campaign around this desire...

Stephen

PS: it could almost be CoC-like.  The sage seeking forgotten and possibly forbidden knowledge with the potential for unleashing chaos or god-learnerism all over again....

That is in fact what I hope LM sorcerers will do!

• Like 1