Star Trek

sladethesniper

Hi all,

In my quest to turn everything into BRP, I am busily converting Star Trek (LUG and FASA version to BRP). While everything else converts nicely (stats are stats after all), the weapons damage is giving me paraoxysms.

While I am aware that BRP (and 90% of all games) have some sort of weird geometric damage progression to go from 5d6 to 6d6, I have always preferred the (almost) linear damage progression, it makes conversion from one system to another easier (though it does lead to the bucket o'dice phenomenon)

Below, I have listed the damage (in linear damage progression, NOT the BRP progression...and C-4 mass equivalent) for phasers.

Does it seem "right" (except for the linear progression...I know, I know).

So, any physics, engineer or demo types out there want to fact check this?

Type-1 phasers have the first eight settings; Type-2 and -3 phasers have all sixteen settings:

1. Light Stun - causes central nervous system impairment on humanoids, unconsciousness for up to 5 minutes. Long exposure by several shots causes reversible neural damage. 1d10 CON (heals at 2 CON/minute)

2. Medium Stun - causes unconsciousness from 5 to 15 minutes. Long exposure causes irreversible neural damage, along with damage to epithelial tissue. 2d6 CON (heals at 1 CON/minute)

3. Heavy Stun - causes unconsciousness from 15 to 60 minutes depending on the level of biological resistance. Significantly heats up metals. 3d6 CON (heals at 1 CON/3 minutes)

4. Thermal Effects - causes extensive neural damage to humanoids and skin burns limited to the outer layers. Causes metals to retain heat when applied for over five seconds. 1d4 damage

5. Thermal Effects - causes severe outer layer skin burns. Can penetrate simple personal force fields after five seconds of application. 1d8 damage

6. Disruption Effects - penetrates organic and structural materials. The thermal damage level decreases from this level onward. 2d6 damage

7. Disruption Effects - due to widespread disruption effects, kills humanoids. 5d6 damage

8. Disruption Effects - causes a cascade disruption that vaporizes humanoid organisms. Any unprotected material can be penetrated. 10d6 damage

9. Disruption Effects - causes medium alloys and structural materials, over a meter thick, to exhibit energy rebound prior to vaporization. 2d10x10 damage

10. Disruption Effects - causes heavy alloys and structural materials to absorb or rebound energy. There is a 0.55 second delay before the material vaporizes. 1d4x100 damage

11. Explosive/Disruption Effects - causes ultra-dense alloys and structural materials to absorb or rebound energy before vaporization. There is a 0.2 second delay before the material vaporizes. Approximately 10 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot. 1d8x100 damage (equivalent to 50 lbs of C-4)

12. Explosive/Disruption Effects - causes ultra-dense alloys and structural materials to absorb or rebound energy before vaporization. There is a 0.1 second delay before the material vaporizes. Approximately 50 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot. 5d10 x 100 damage (equivalent to 200 pounds of C-4 explosive)

13. Explosive/Disruption Effects - causes shielded matter to exhibit minor vibrational heating effects. Approximately 90 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot. 1d8 x 1000 damage (equivalent to 250 lbs of C-4)

14. Explosive/Disruption Effects - causes shielded matter to exhibit medium vibrational heating effects. Approximately 160 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot. 2d6 x 1000 damage (equivalent to 500 lbs of C-4)

15. Explosive/Disruption Effects - causes shielded matter to exhibit major vibrational heating effects. Approximately 370 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot. 3d10 x 1000 damage (equivalent to 1000 lbs of C-4)

16. Explosive/Disruption Effects - causes shielded matter to exhibit light mechanical fracturing damage. Approximately 650 cubic meters of rock are disintegrated per shot. 5d10 x 1000 damage (equivalent to 2000 lbs of C-4)

-STS

It seems kinda high since artillery shells in BRP only do around 15d6. The problem with the lineral approach is that nothing else in the game is linear, so stats, hit points, etc quickly get overpowered.

What you might want to do is to the the damage dice to the Damage Index rating for phasers. Say DI 3.5 = 1d6 and so forth.

With the way explosions work in BRP, I suggest you give settings 11+ a blast radius and a distance per die drop off. That would also reduce the number of dice needed to damage something big. Rather than doing thousands of points of damage.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.