Another Strike Rank Question

Hi all,

I just got the Basic Roleplaying PDF and am deep into planning a campaign with it. I have a couple questions about strike ranks, namely with regards to missile weapons.

For various historical missile weapons in the "SR" column, it states "1/4MR" or some variation of that. I can't find a reference as to what "MR" means. Is it a typo, was it supposed to be "CR?"

Second, I understand that if something is "1/SR" that you can fire it on your Dex rank, reload for 3 SR, then fire again an repeat as able. What does "2/SR", or other variations mean?

Third, for weapons like the musket that are "1/2CR", I know that means you can only fire it every 2 combat rounds. Do I assume the player must spend the next combat round after firing reloading? For weapons that are "1/4CR", do they really have to spend 3 turns reloading?

I'm pretty sure I get the rest of it, but missile weapons are getting the best of me.

EDIT: Another question, while counting strike ranks from 1 to 10, if characters are moving do they move their individual 3m/SR during each SR, or does it just make their attack act on a later SR? I.E Do I make them "move their character" every time I count, then attack when in range? OR, do they "Begin moving" on DSR 2, (assume we use minis), actually move their char 9 m during SR 5, then attack with a 2 SE weapon on SR 7?

Thanks for the help, I really can't wait to play with this system!

Edited by ArchangelRaphael

1 hour ago, ArchangelRaphael said:

Hi all,

I just got the Basic Roleplaying PDF and am deep into planning a campaign with it. I have a couple questions about strike ranks, namely with regards to missile weapons.

For various historical missile weapons in the "SR" column, it states "1/4MR" or some variation of that. I can't find a reference as to what "MR" means. Is it a typo, was it supposed to be "CR?"

MR stood for Melee Round, which is what they calla Combat Round (CR) in BRP. So yeah, it's probably a typo from porting the tabel over from a similar game.

Second, I understand that if something is "1/SR" that you can fire it on your Dex rank, reload for 3 SR, then fire again an repeat as able.

Not quite. There is a difference between DEX ranks and SR. Strike Ranks an an optional rule in BRP. You're mixing different sequencing systems, although in generally you got the right idea.

What does "2/SR", or other variations mean?

2/SR means that you can fire two shots in a round, and and is seen with double barrel weapons or automatic shotguns. For example someone could fire both barrels of an elephant gun at the same time. Some high tech weapons can also fire quicky and get mutltiple shots that way.

Third, for weapons like the musket that are "1/2CR", I know that means you can only fire it every 2 combat rounds. Do I assume the player must spend the next combat round after firing reloading? For weapons that are "1/4CR", do they really have to spend 3 turns reloading?

Generally yes. Although with some weapons (lasso, net) it might just reflect how much time it takes to gather up the weapon a ready it for another attack. The best way to tell is to check how much ammo the weapon holds. If it is a single shot weapon, then you know that it's empty and needed to be relaoded. If it is has the ammo, then there must be some other reason for the dealy, for instance a laser gun might have to "cool down" between firings.

I'm pretty sure I get the rest of it, but missile weapons are getting the best of me.

EDIT: Another question, while counting strike ranks from 1 to 10, if characters are moving do they move their individual 3m/SR during each SR, or does it just make their attack act on a later SR? I.E Do I make them "move their character" every time I count, then attack when in range? OR, do they "Begin moving" on DSR 2, (assume we use minis), actually move their char 9 m during SR 5, then attack with a 2 SE weapon on SR 7?

Tough Question. It kinda depends.The Strike Rank system in BRP is closer to the one used in RQ3, so I'd think that characters would move on their DEX SR. You'd add 1 SR to their attack per 3m moved. So if someone normally attacked on SR7, but they had to move 6m they would move 3m on their DEX SR, 3m on the following SR, and end up attacking on SR9. What makes it a tough call is that the normal movement rules assume you are using DEX ranks, which work a little differently than Strike Ranks. 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.