Using HARP Magic in BRP

Harshax

I own HARP, and have run it, but I didn’t care for the way magic worked in actual play (which minimizes the odds that I will try and convert it to BRP). I recall (and this was a few years ago) that I like the system on paper before I started running with it, but once things got underway I found that the costs for spells were completely out of whack with my gaming style. For example, to cast a simple light spell that will allow someone trapped in a cave to see would drain a mage in a few minutes – but the same mage could cast combat spells that would level a building.

We had a lot of other issues with HARP (particularly balancing combat) so the deficiencies with the magic system were just irritating. I house-ruled away the problems we dropped HARP before too long anyway.

My recollection (and this is about three years later) was that all the non-combat spells had crazy-high power point costs while the combat spells seemed balanced (at least against what fighters could do). I seem to recall 20 PP could either deliver a massive lightning attack destroying a squad of orcs or create a single glass of beer.

Now, I’m not telling you to not convert it to BRP – I was just trying to give your thread a bump. I think if you did convert the system, you would likely want to have two power cost formulas, one for combat spells and another for non-combat; that’s just my opinion.

My recollection (and this is about three years later) was that all the non-combat spells had crazy-high power point costs while the combat spells seemed balanced (at least against what fighters could do). I seem to recall 20 PP could either deliver a massive lightning attack destroying a squad of orcs or create a single glass of beer.

I guess HARP proves that it is easier to create than destroy. :)

Thanks for the reply. As I've only read the system, I appreciate an actual players incite far more than my own.

As I prepare to write up my setting, and customize BRP to my liking, I have spent much of my free time over the last weeks reading various discussions in order to determine what I want in a magic system.

I thought HARP would fit that bill, but I don't want to do a huge amount of conversion work. Nor, after some thought, does it actually fit the bill.

I'm going to spend a few days mulling over converting Desolation's magic system, and see what I come up with. I think there is some potential there.

Again, thanks!

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp