Superheroes

jamat

There are a few threads already discussing just this subject. The system as written in the new BRP isn't as comprehensive or customizable as either M&M, GURPS or Hero/Champions, but it can work arguably, and due to the core emchanics will have a diffrent feel to those games.

The game scale starts to break down mechanically (at least theoretically) with very powerful characters.

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

How well does the rules reflect superheroes if I were to create a setting for a supers game?

Jamat

If I wanted to run a superheroes game I would use M&M or TriStat. (I have run superhero games with both systems). If you want to use a simple system try Truth & Justice (PDQ system).

If your concept is normal humans with some powers, BRP will do the job nicely. For example, a Batman-style campaign would be fine. Similarly, psychic powers type supers would work.

I'd recommend Mutants & Masterminds. It's a superhero dedicated system with loads of customisation and extras. The mechanic is simple but not simplistic - it allows for lucky hits on superman type supers, and being laidout by it, rather than dealing with that whole errosion of mega hitpoints until unconscious thing that other SH games have. Don't get me wrong - BRP is good - there are just better superhero games out there.

No Gods - No Masters

Having read through the rules Ian see there are better super games out ehre, I have most of them on my book shelf.

What I'm thinking of is converting the Brave New World setting into BRP where one character has one power. I like the setting and the rules are ok but my group aren't too keen on them but want to try the setting out.

I was looking for a simple system for powers as in some respects they are secondary to the main story I was thinking of.

BRP power list seems to cover 90% of the powers you can find in BNW but the characters are more rounded in relation to skills and the like.

Does anyone think BRP would be a good fit for this idea.

Jamat

Having read through the rules Ian see there are better super games out ehre, I have most of them on my book shelf.

What I'm thinking of is converting the Brave New World setting into BRP where one character has one power. I like the setting and the rules are ok but my group aren't too keen on them but want to try the setting out.

I was looking for a simple system for powers as in some respects they are secondary to the main story I was thinking of.

BRP power list seems to cover 90% of the powers you can find in BNW but the characters are more rounded in relation to skills and the like.

Does anyone think BRP would be a good fit for this idea.

Jamat

I never actually saw BNW, but from what I read of it in reviews, I'd think BRP would be able to handle that (largely because viewed as a superhero game, BNW wasn't much of one).