Request for Clearer Type

Dave

I love the new editions of classic Call of Cthulhu products, especially the revisions and expansions to the content of classic campaigns. There is one element that I feel is less good than previous editions, however, and that's the readability of the type.

The type is a decent size (for me), but when there's a non-white background, especially one including lines or other darkish elements, it can be a real impediment to reading. Often I've begun reading hardcopy of a recent product and had to give up, going back to the PDF and an enlarged type size or else omitting the background, when the PDF is layered.

I very much enjoy the graphic design of the recent products, but I'd love it if you could ensure that the type appears on white or near-white backgrounds. Even with some of the earlier B&W products, a gray screen that's too dark makes the text difficult to read.

It seems to me that they want you to purchase the physical medium as opposed to the PDF. With piracy being a concern, if you make the PDFs as difficult to read as possible you almost force people to go with the easier, nicer, color, more expensive physical books. Also they don't want you to print it yourself. 

perfect example is the quick start rules. The original 7th edition PDF was printer friendly. The updated 7th edition quick start rules (and every new pdf) are terrible to print at home. You'll go through three cartridges as ink before your even halfway through. So why bother printing it? For what it will cost you in ink, you can just pay chaosism for the physical book

Edited by Tony B

I'm one of those who likes to run the game from the PDF, so I don't mind buying only that edition or both print & PDF. That said, for initial reading and browsing, the print editions are lovely artifacts. I just wish they were also more readable.

As much as I think the new layout is pretty, I still miss the plain simplicity of Times body text, Univers and Benguiat headers found in the original and classic CoC releases. Those were readable above all else, and great when skimming.

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason