Mythic Mash Up

Richard

I realise that this is probably a bit obvious and that I may have missed an earlier thread but just in case...has anyone considered butchering European history to allow the simultaneous use of Mythic Britain, Mythic Rome, Mythic Constantinople and the upcoming Mythic Babylon? To really complete the anachronistic madness this 'parallel', which could also be lots of fun for Arkwright fans, could even incorporate elements of the good ol' RQ Vikings set, Monster Coliseum, Alephtar Games Stupor Mundi and their Teutonic Knights versus the Baltic state barbarians book (The name of which escapes me but I always regret not purchasing it). Merrie England is likely to be a step too far if we're already going with Mythic Britain instead. Of course this would require visiting the kind of ultra violence upon the history of Europe and North Africa that would have serious academic historians filling the Mediterranean with tears of blood but think of the fun of having a continent sized campaign with the kind of readily available geographic and background material on hand for each of these cultures. Then all we really need then is Mythic Greece, Mythic Egypt and the Reconquista to pretty much complete the madness and deliver the Mythic Europe setting we were tantalised with back in the old RQ3 Avalon Hill days.

Edited by Richard
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Make it a Fantasy Europe/Mythic Europe where are invisible magical barriers all over the place. You can cross these barriers but emd up in a different time period of european history if you do so. Only living matter may pass these barriers (that avoids the problem that  would evolve if you were able to bring canons and granates from Mythic Constantinople to Mythic Britzain for instance), which allowes the adventurers/heroes/characters to travel across all the regions of europe, without mixing up to much of these settings. 

• Like 1

Yes, it is more than a little Robert E Howard. Coincidentally a gamer friend and big Howard fan was explaining to me at the weekend that circumventing historical consistency and anachronisms was a major motivator for the Hyborian Age.  I guess the idea was exactly that, to come up with a broad revisionist European/Mediterranean historical fudge that would allow us to cherry pick history and fuse all that juicy Mythras/RQ background. In the unlikely event that I ever have enough clones made to give me time to work on it I'll post the results. Andre's walking through magical barriers is intriguing - Perhaps an Arkwright scenario might involve time travelling through different eras sealed off in such a fashion by some mighty disruptor technology to right some serious temporal wrongs.

Monster island has some portals that bring in things from other worlds that could be appropriated. The Legend supplement The Spider God’s Bride is in a different world, but close enough to the Hyborian age that you can scrub off the serial numbers and never know the difference. I ran a solid game with that.