[OpenQuest] SimpleQuest is now OpenQuest

Newt

As I was finishing off SimpleQuest prior to the final edit, it occurred to me that a name change was in order.

So 'SimpleQuest' is now 'OpenQuest'

Two reasons for the change

1. Some people are already are already referring to it as 'OpenQuest' and since I'm going to make the whole game OGL this seemed to make sense. to reinforce that as long as you include the OGL license you can use it how ever you want, even commercially.

2. Also we've found while we we've been out and about at conventions that people new to BRP/D100 are misled by the name 'SimpleQuest'. They are expecting a fast moving very simple fantasy game, when in reality the game is a easier to understand and play version of RQ/BRP.

I've updated the game's page on the website with full details of the contents and some sample artwork

D101 Games - OpenQuest

The game is now at Final edit and layout, and should be available in April.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

Not that relavant but you should probably do a 303 Redirect for your old simplequest page, as a lot of people will have linked to that and if you do a 303 redirect you'll help maitain your google rankings.

Just add this to a .htaccess file in the root directory of your web server (assuming apache)

redirect permanent /simplequest /openquest

And that should do the job.

Luck,

As I was finishing off SimpleQuest prior to the final edit, it occurred to me that a name change was in order.

So 'SimpleQuest' is now 'OpenQuest'

Oh man, that means that my barely literate lists of houserules on my HDD which will never see the light of day will have to be renamed (you know 'just in case')

2. Also we've found while we we've been out and about at conventions that people new to BRP/D100 are misled by the name 'SimpleQuest'. They are expecting a fast moving very simple fantasy game,

You are in good company there then. When we doing the BRP playtest one of my buddies foolishly tried to read all of the rules (rather than stick to trying out the ones which I said that we'd be testing today) and bewailed plaintively 'its not exactly Basic is it?' On top of which for at least 3 editions RuneQuest had very little to do with Questing for Runes

The game is now at Final edit and layout, and should be available in April.

Cool

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Not that relavant but you should probably do a 303 Redirect for your old simplequest page, as a lot of people will have linked to that and if you do a 303 redirect you'll help maitain your google rankings.

Argh that got forgotten in the general hubbub of posting announcements and updating the page.

Fixed it now, but not in the way you suggested since the CMS software needed a bit of giggery pokery in the backend to get it working.

Done now, thanks for pointing it out:thumb:

Oh man, that means that my barely literate lists of houserules on my HDD which will never see the light of day will have to be renamed (you know 'just in case')

Plans are to set up a OpenQuest Wiki, that people can post such things too. So hopefully your house rules will see the light of day ;)

You are in good company there then. When we doing the BRP playtest one of my buddies foolishly tried to read all of the rules (rather than stick to trying out the ones which I said that we'd be testing today) and bewailed plaintively 'its not exactly Basic is it?' On top of which for at least 3 editions RuneQuest had very little to do with Questing for Runes

l

Yes this is more or less what happened in some of our con games. There are some guidelines for what the 'Quest' in OpenQuest means, both as what players can expect when they go adventuring and how GMs can set up adventures.

• 3 months later...

I wasn't really paying attention but i kinda recall a post on another forum that Newt is on holiday at the moment. So any small wibble in the code running his website might cause it to be down and he's not around to fix it or to explain the situation publically.

I'd relax for at least a week and see what happens.

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Howdo all

Indeed the website is down :( Should be back up later today or tomorrow. Its annoying when these things happen when you are on holiday without an internet connection.

Good news is, the game is done. I have the proof back from the printers and its a lovely shiny thing :) Couple of amends to make but should be available in the next couple of weeks.

I'll make an announcement when it is and how to get hold of a copy.

Not long now.