Scribus query

cjbowser

Several people have recommended using Scribus for layout. I have a question about that. Does it have text overflow? I've been looking through the man files and online and can't figure out how to get that to work.

Err, I think it can - you mean link text boxes so if there's too much text to display in the first box it flows through and displays in the second one? Scribus can certainly do that, there's a button that lets you link text frames (select a text frame, hit he link button, select the next text frame), plus you can get it to show which text frames are linked from one of the drop down menus. Additional buttons (like the link text frame one) may be hidden if the application window isn't big enough, there are >> you can click on to expand the button bar and show tools that are hidden.

Cheers,

Nick

Err, I think it can - you mean link text boxes so if there's too much text to display in the first box it flows through and displays in the second one? Scribus can certainly do that, there's a button that lets you link text frames (select a text frame, hit he link button, select the next text frame), plus you can get it to show which text frames are linked from one of the drop down menus. Additional buttons (like the link text frame one) may be hidden if the application window isn't big enough, there are >> you can click on to expand the button bar and show tools that are hidden.

Cheers,

Nick

That's what I meant. Thanks, Nick. Another question for you...

Does Scribus do Master Pages (so that certain items appear on every page, but with the option to turn off for individual pages as necessary)? And does it also allow for sectioning where you can have different headers and footers for different chapters instead of having to create a separate doc for each chapter and string them all together in Adobe or something later?

Nick will have a better answer – I’ve been using this software for one day now – but I think what you are asking about is found under the Page menu.

My plan is to set up a two page document – in “letter” format, and then insert more then enough pages for my monograph. The after setting up two text boxes for the columns (and linking them), save two master pages – one for the even and one for the odd pages. Then apply each master as appropriate.

If anyone had any thoughts about this, I would love to hear them.

Nick will have a better answer – I’ve been using this software for one day now – but I think what you are asking about is found under the Page menu.

Err, I installed Scribus on my work laptop and my home iMac last week and have been playing with it in amongst work, running weekly games of D&D and Call of Cthulhu, writing stuff for UW and other BRP projects and general life stuff (and watching a Grand prix...) :lol: So at best I'm a few days ahead of you guys in playing with Scribus! :D

My plan is to set up a two page document – in “letter” format, and then insert more then enough pages for my monograph. The after setting up two text boxes for the columns (and linking them), save two master pages – one for the even and one for the odd pages. Then apply each master as appropriate.

If anyone had any thoughts about this, I would love to hear them.

Yep, that should work - in fact I think you could probably go further and have master pages for first page of chapter, final page of chapter and so on - depends on how much you want to dig in to the layout details really.

I should also point out that if you've seen Lawrence Whitaker's Hawkmoon monograph, that was laid out by Loz entirely in Word, so full bore DTP isn't mandatory for monographs....

That's what I meant. Thanks, Nick. Another question for you...

Does Scribus do Master Pages (so that certain items appear on every page, but with the option to turn off for individual pages as necessary)?

Yes - see entries under the Pages menu, the Arrange pages item under the Window menu and the edit master pages item under the Edit menu.

And does it also allow for sectioning where you can have different headers and footers for different chapters instead of having to create a separate doc for each chapter and string them all together in Adobe or something later?

Again, looks likely. Will do some some experiments this weekend.

Cheers,

Nick

Err, I installed Scribus on my work laptop and my home iMac last week and have been playing with it in amongst work, running weekly games of D&D and Call of Cthulhu, writing stuff for UW and other BRP projects and general life stuff (and watching a Grand prix...) :lol: So at best I'm a few days ahead of you guys in playing with Scribus! :D

In my world that makes you an authority on the subject!:D