Mass Battle Question

Mounted vs. Afoot should use the Mounted vs. Mounted table. 

The omission was a slight error  in 5th edition. Back in KAP 4 which table you used was solely based on if the PK Commander's Unit was mounted (fiest, better table) or afoot (second,worse table).  KAP5 expanded that by allowing PK units that are afoot to use the first (better) table when facing other footmen. Sonow if the PKs are on foot, facinga Saxon horde,they are not penalized.

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

22 hours ago, YwainDigsLions said:

do you just need to win the round of combat to be able to take an opponent hostage for ransom?

That would lead to way too many captives. Not to mention, the PKs themselves are not captured when they lose a round, so why would the NPKs be?

My rule of thumb is that if you crit your weapon roll during the battle round, you also get a captive, IF the round is a success for your team, too. I.e. more wins than losses.

In BoB2, taking a prisoner opportunity opens up if you have knocked the enemy unconscious (usually via Major Wound). But it is its own little procedure that you need to go through, it is not automatic.

Edited by Morien

Generally you have to defeat the foe, and then have a squire free who can take the prisoner from the field of battle back to your lines. Unless of course you want to do it yourself. 

That would limit the number of prisoners since a knight would either run out of squires, or he would miss a round or so getting to and from the battle.

15 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Generally you have to defeat the foe, and then have a squire free who can take the prisoner from the field of battle back to your lines. Unless of course you want to do it yourself. 

That would limit the number of prisoners since a knight would either run out of squires, or he would miss a round or so getting to and from the battle.

There's your reason to have 2+ squires, if you can afford it.

1 hour ago, Khanwulf said:

There's your reason to have 2+ squires, if you can afford it.

Yes, that definitely is part of it. In BoB you also have to make squire rolls to see if they can keep up with you during a battle, so an extra squire can often make the difference between getting a ransom or not.