OpenQuest/River of Heaven at Winter Con 2020 in Manchester

Newt

I'm organising Winter Con 2020 a one day con (10am - 6pm) at Fanboy 3 in Central Manchester UK to celebrate the 1st birthday of Go Play Manchester a monthly rpg meetup I run.

As part of this myself and John Ossoway are running the following games:

The Guns of Olympus Mons

System: River of Heaven
GM: John Ossoway

Mars has fallen to the Renouncers, who continue to wage their relentless holy war against intelligent machines and their allies.

The Martian Space Tether is down, and as Renouncer war machines ravage the surface, a network of orbital kill-sats capable of destroying any ship approaching the red planet performs an effective orbital interdiction against Hegemony space assets.

Olympus Mons is the site of an important node in the command and control infrastructure for the Mars Planetary Defence Network. It is also the location of a Visser Cube  – a traversable wormhole paired with a twin in your home system of Alpha Centauri.

Both of the Visser Cubes are currently offline.

You are a squad of Hegemony Marines. Best of the best. Your mission profile is clear:

• Get to the surface.
  • Penetrate the Olympus Mons Citadel.
  • Take and hold the Visser Cube chamber
  • Realign the wormholes, allowing the Hegemony to deploy troops to the surface of Mars directly from your homeworld.

Easy.

So check those suit seals, warm up your smart rifles and show me your war face.

It’s game time.

Return to the Savage North

System: OpenQuest 3
GM: Newt Newport

You are the Drakkar, proud people of the Ice Dragon.  Who in ancient times liberated the Savage North from the Vampire Lords of the Outer Darkness at the end of the Blood Age.

The Ice Dragon buried the Vampire Lord Throk in its temple, under several kilometres of ice. The best thing for this fiend.

But now the Mad King of Sonderland wants you to enter the temple to find a magical mirror to settle a wager.

Salara the Wise Woman says the only way down through the ice is using the steel Sword of Krum himself

Problem is Krum cares not!

[Yes, I'm revisiting The Savage North as part of OpenQuest 3rd edtion]

• Like 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

That Guns of Olympus Mons adventure sounds awesome!  Only 'Invading the face on Mars' might be slightly better as an adventure setup, but maybe not even then.  I'm getting a bit of a Halo ODST videogame vibe. 

Please let us know how it goes and whether we might see this as another published adventure for RoH?  Or maybe offered as a convention adventure for anyone who'd like to run RoH during a convention or Free RPG Day 2020? 

Edited by ORtrail

• 1 month later...

I got to play River of Heaven, the Guns of Olympus Mons, at Winter Con 2020 at Fanboy3 in Manchester last weekend just gone. On a personal level, it was great to play in a game with Jon Ossoway, a man who knows his Sci-fi troupes inside out. As a publisher of River of Heaven, it was great to be playing the game with John and seeing exactly how it ticks with the author running it.

The set up was simple and direct. The Renoucers, a sort of Fascist Luddite paramilitary movement who are out to stop the rise of AI, had taken over a military base on Olympus Mons, which is a huge extinct volcano on Mars. Since said base controls the planet's defence grid, our team of Marines were going in hard and fast using drop-pods to take it out. So cue a fast-paced military-techno-thriller, with much sneaking about, hacking into systems, taking out guards from a distance, as well as the all-out firefights you'd expect. John had included some hooks in the character's backgrounds which led to some great roleplaying from the players, so it wasn't all grunts-n-gunplay. I had fun 'weapons-testing' the power armour and a quite frankly scary array of guns and grenades our characters were equipped with. My favourite one was the Smart Grenade, which can be programmed to have a delayed explosion ("Hey Google, set explosion for 30 seconds after impact") and to only go off when near actual combatants, not say, civilians

The best thing of all was that it felt like we were in a distinct Sci-fi universe, not a cheap knock off Star-Wars, Star Trek or Aliens.

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain