a thread for name advise

sea-envy

1) I have a Montaigne servant + spy with trusted companion- the PC Hero is a "humble valet" and manservant to a foppish merchant's son. If they were Avalon I could just go with Jeeves and Wooster. What are some of the similar story duos of employee leading the boss in French literature/tv/movies?

2) a 4 Brawn Montaigne with Large named Hercule. He also has Able Drinker, Cast Iron Stomach, and Poison Immunity (he just keep eating, and eating) what would be the best peasant "last name" for him? De Pit? De Gross? De Wide?

3) I have an Ussuran with an amount of social contacts from all walks of life that would not seem to fit his loner/outdoorsman profession. The Hero who always says- "Don't worry, I know a guy" is there any Russian folk lore or modern sit com characters with a surprising list of friends?

4) Another Ussuran a priest/jenny- he brings... comfort to the lonely women of the village and has a philosophy about "physical temptations distracting you from faith" that dose not match what is preached in Castile. My work in progress joke name is Father Ofmany. Any real Russian names that could sound anything like that?

5) a Vodacce duelist/jenny- once she has a character story to get Foul Weather Jack she will learn that she is some kind of mirrored fate reflection of Veronica Ambrogia. Not an "Evil Twin" but uses a different approach in the same situations, is draw into situations resembling ones the major figure faced. A "Betty" to be the opposite of "Veronica" What Italian name is the best translation of "Betty"?

I may never play them but I want a folder of characters built to experiment with the system

I might share them as premade characters here some day

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 9:47 PM, Lloyd Dupont said:

I have no idea! (And no idea about 7th sea either)

But look:
https://www.amazon.com/7th-Heroes-Villains-John-Wick/dp/1987916611

7th sea seems to be inspired by medieval Europe!
Google for medieval European names if you really look for authenticity and consistency. I am sure there are many resources! ;) 

It's a popular and VERY useful entre to a setting, making it "clearly <X>, you can point to all the bits-of-<X> & use historical-reference-<X>" but at the same time "not-<X>," so none of the actual limitations of history.

"inspired by" and "homage to"...

But I think the OP is looking for well-known tropes/memes/stereotypes/etc, like "Jeeves" (for a butler) is in English.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 11/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, sea-envy said:

1) I have a Montaigne servant + spy with trusted companion- the PC Hero is a "humble valet" and manservant to a foppish merchant's son. If they were Avalon I could just go with Jeeves and Wooster. What are some of the similar story duos of employee leading the boss in French literature/tv/movies?

The obvious one here, to me, is "Passepartout," the valet who was critical to Fogg's trip "Around the World in 80 Days."

Originally written in French, by Jules Verne.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig