A note for our loyal followers

RosenMcStern

It is high time to provide some explanations to our most faithful followers. Alephtar Games announced some great new publications for 2019, a Medievalia D100 line and a new edition of the rules. We have a delayed kickstarter for Red Moon Rising, too, that backers are really eager to see completed (we have not forgotten it, and an expanded version of these explanatory notes will appear later on the RMR page on KS).

Yet 2019 saw only a couple of PDFs come out, plus a revision of the quickstart version of the rules, in two languages out of the announced four.

As you may have imagined, the mysterious Project Z is the reason behind the delay of these long-awaited publications. They are essential to the future of the game line, yet for us Project Z is the most important part of our strategy for encouraging people to play the game. To put it simply, it is the type of licensed IP that creates hype. I will just compare the "google hits" I get for the names of H.P. Lovecraft, Jack Vance and our unnamed licensor:

Lovecraft: 34 million+ hits

Jack Vance: 27 million+ hits

Our licensor: 14 million+ hits

I chose Jack Vance not just because I am a great fan of his work, but because he is the author of the latest licensed IP that The Design Mechanism has acquired. In other words, the license popularity is of the same order of magnitude as the most valuable licensed IPs that competing games can leverage.

These numbers speak loud. The new project will help Revolution D100 more than anything else we have in the pipeline – which is not empty in any case. When we realised that we would in fact get the license, in March/April, it was a no-brainer that it made more sense to go for it first, and for the rest later. Such a radical change of strategy was not an easy decision, and unfortunately it also meant that when a 4 month delay happened in the negotiations it impacted everything we had in the making. We apologize for this to all of our fans who will end up not being so interested in the new project but wanted to see "the rest". But for many others… once you know, there will be no need to apologize.

See you later in the realms of fantasy, and get ready to swing axes and fire beam weapons: there are hordes of bad guys waiting for you.

• Like 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM