Things you dislike in the GPC

The discussion on the other thread reminded me of something I really dislike: circumstances & situations lifted from real medieval history and transported to GPC, simply because it happened in history.

Examples of this: Genoese (and Milanese) crossbowmen, and, especially, the Lass of France (clear expy of Joan of Arc). I am pretty sure that there were some references to Brabant mercenaries and the best plate armor coming from Germany and Milan (as was the case in Late Middle Ages), but it is possible that I am simply remembering an example I made to Greg whilst arguing about these things.

Oh, and don't get me started on the Medieval Machinegun that is Long Bow in GPC: 4d6+10 damage, which is equivalent to being hit by a lance charge with an Andalusian war horse. I think not! I am much happier with the revised Longbow in Book of the Entourage with its 3d6+6 damage. Which also makes the arquebus more of an improvement in Twilight, damage-wise.

Edited by Morien

17 hours ago, Morien said:

Oh, and don't get me started on the Medieval Machinegun that is Long Bow in GPC: 4d6+10 damage, which is equivalent to being hit by a lance charge with an Andalusian war horse. I think not! I am much happier with the revised Longbow in Book of the Entourage with its 3d6+6 damage. Which also makes the arquebus more of an improvement in Twilight, damage-wise.

I believe it was K&L that gave us the 4d6+10 Longbow, and the 3d6+8 compound bow. At least Greg admitted to the latter being a slip up (composite bow not compound bow). Personally I think the 5d6 longbows from KAP4 were about right, not that 3d6+6 is much different.

Bows got helped in KAP 5 by the way shields now work against them. Before, the 6 points of protection from the shield sort of required higher damages to get through. With shields not reducing damage, but apply a -5 to be hit, the damage can be kept more reasonable. In my current campaign 3d6 bows are actually a threat against 10-11 point mail armor.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Bows got helped in KAP 5 by the way shields now work against them. Before, the 6 points of protection from the shield sort of required higher damages to get through. With shields not reducing damage, but apply a -5 to be hit, the damage can be kept more reasonable.

This change was already in KAP 4: "If the target has a shield, he does not get a roll, but the shield acts as ’cover,’ providing a -5 modifier to the attacker’s skill."

Did BoK&L come out before GPC? I admit that I have forgotten what the actual publication dates were.

This change was already in KAP 4: "If the target has a shield, he does not get a roll, but the shield acts as ’cover,’ providing a -5 modifier to the attacker’s skill."

Oh, in that case I don't see the need to increase the bow damages. 5d6 for the longbow was plenty against a target without a shield.

I did up some rules for bow damages by draw weight and special arrow types vs. armor, but never really use them as bows as not a knightly weapon.

Did BoK&L come out before GPC? I admit that I have forgotten what the actual publication dates were.

The GPC came out first, but Greg might have had the new Longbow damages in mind and K&L partially done before the GPC was released. I do recall Greg mention on the old forums that he thought 4d6+10 was too much.

24 minutes ago, Morien said:

Which is why it is 3d6+6 in revised BotEntourage. 3d6+6 is equivalent to 5d6-1, on average.

Yeah, like I said eariler 3d6+6 isn't much different than 5d6. I think I prefer 5d6 but it's not an issue, just a preference. I'm using 3d6+3 for composite bows.